SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheesh

Funerals, food and money

sheesh
13 years ago

I didn't want to hijack AM's thread, but I have so many questions of my own re my own mother and how to prepare.

She is nearly 87, living in a nursing home with severe short-term memory loss but an amazing recall of all things that occurred before 2003, and a wonderful sense of humor. She was/is well-loved by her nieces & nephews and adored by her grand and great-grandchildren. I love her dearly. She still lives in the area we grew up in, but neither I nor my brothers still do. My father was famous in our town, but he died 22 years ago. My mom is the last of her generation - no siblings or in-laws, only a couple cousins from my generation within 50-60 miles of mom, and most of her friends and co-workers are gone.

She is well-loved by my cousins and I'm sure some of them would come to her funeral, but here is the rub: My husband and I cannot afford to host a luncheon afterward. My brothers will pitch in a little but not much. It's 50 miles in the wrong direction to have people to my house so that's out. She has never been a member of any church so that's out. I have paid for her funeral already, but there is no place there for any food or drink.

I estimate between 30 and 50 people for lunch. I've called a few ordinary restaurants in her area; lunch for that many with tip and tax would be between $750 and $1200, something I cannot afford.

I think just about all I can do is call friends and relatives, give them the news and not have any service at all. What would you do?

Sherry

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County