tomato soup/adding milk?

grannytme

please, would someone tell me how to add milk to tomato soup so it doesn't look curdled. I made it today and haven't added the milk yet.

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Home made tomato soup? or canned?
With Campbell's soup there should be no problems....with home made it may or may not curdle....but to be safe add a little of the soup to the milk, and a little more and finally mix it all together....and after adding the milk, don't boil.
I usually don't add milk to home made tomato soup.
Linda c

Save    
nandina

Buzz it with a hand blender. As it heats all will smooth out. Have you ever served tomato soup with a splash of vodka and a dollop of sour cream?

Save    
chase_gw

I do as Linda does...add the milk to a bit of the soup in a measuring cup so as to temper it, then add it all into the soup pot. Low simmer, don't let it boil.

Save    
grainlady_ks

Maybe the information at the link below will help.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Stop Tomato Soup From Curdling

Save    
lindac

Yeahbut....those directions are for a can of concentrated soup...I mane mine from real tomatoes and celery and onions and don't want to use a stick blender, because it removes the chunks of vegetables which I love.
I don['t usually add milk ro cream but when I do it's by the tamper it method.
Linda C

Save    
doucanoe

I prefer my homemade tomato soup sans milk/cream.

But if I were going to make a creamy version, I would do it as Linda and Chase explained.

Linda

Save    
ann_t

I make a creamy tomato bisque and simmer it with cream or milk and have never had a problem with it curdling. I also don't like to use the stick blender because I don't want a smooth texture.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Creamy Tomato Bisque
====================
1/4 cup of butter
1 chopped shallot
2 stalks of celery chopped
3 to 4 tablespoons flour
1 to 2 cloves of garlic, cracked
Fresh chopped or canned tomatoes coarsely chopped
Chicken broth
Cream or milk
Bay leaf
Salt and pepper

Optional: Dill, chives or Basil
. Melt butter over medium heat. Add chopped shallots and celery and
saute for a few minutes to slightly soften. Add the flour and cook
stirring for a couple of minutes. Add chicken broth, cream (or milk),
the tomatoes, garlic cloves, bay leaf, season with salt and pepper and
simmer on low heat for 30 minutes or so.

Adjust seasoning to suit your own taste by adding fresh dill, chives or
fresh basil.

Save    
HU-33404473

There is one exception. All of the above won't apply to canned soup. The directions on the cans are to add a can of water or milk and then heat it. There is no heating the soup before adding the liquid to temper as far as I can tell. Of course homemade is better, but canned soup is a quicker, easier option sometimes.

Save    
ghoghunter

If you want to save some of the tomato pieces remove part of the soup, blend the rest with your milk and then add the other part back in.

1 Like Save    
colleenoz

If I'm adding milk to home made tomato soup, I make a light bechamel sauce and add that. This also adds a little "body" to the soup.

Save    
lindac92

Home made tomato soup and the stuff in the can are 2 entirely different things....like home made cream of mushroom soup and the stuff in the can.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Edible Gardens Cool-Season Vegetables: How to Grow Peas
Their sweetness isn't just for spring. Peas thrive in cool weather too, adding a garden-fresh note to soups, salads and more through fall
Full Story
Kitchen Design Houzz Call: Tell Us About Your First Kitchen
Great or godforsaken? Ragtag or refined? We want to hear about your younger self’s cooking space
Full Story
Summer Gardening Summer Crops: How to Grow Cucumbers
Pick a peck for pickles or opt for fewer and raw — no matter how you slice them, cucumbers are great for summer gardens small to large
Full Story