SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peegee_gw

Beyond Indifference: letting go of the cherished (long post)

peegee
15 years ago

For some time I've been mulling over Lilydilly's post, "I'm de-cluttering 'indifference'" and want to bring it a step further. Some history first. Thanks in large part to the intesting and helpful posts here providing much needed inspiration and motivation, over the past year+ I've made great strides eliminating a lot that I've held onto for many years. One poster recommended asking yourself something like "would I buy this today?" - and that one tip helped me move through bags of old but serviceable clothing...But getting rid of things I didn't love got me only so far, in part because unlike the overload of clothing, I generally only let into my life things that really speak to me - and then I get really attached.

So it must have been the momentum from letting go of inconsequential possesions that allowed me to move beyond into an area that until this past year would have been absolutely inconceivable to me: to let go of cherished belongings that don't fit into my life any longer. For example, when I moved from a large home into my small place, I held onto my lovely formal furniture, storing my comfy casual stuff upstairs. It took me a long time to finally accept that the really nice quality formal stuff no longer served me and had to go. About 6 months later it dawned on me that my beloved 75 year old living room rug that I owned for over 25 years and still admired each and every time I looked at it - didn't work well in the only room it fit in; the dark rug really seemed to suck the light out of the room. Now the brightness of the room from the glow of the oak floors is enough. Better example: grandfather clock - always loved it. This house so small ticking clock can be heard no matter where I put it and kept me up at night so I had to stop the pendulum. Years later it finally occurs to me that having a clock that doesn't keep time doesn't make sense - and I hadn't even heard the Westminster chimes in years!!!!!I think that I held onto these and many other items because I couldn't imagine them out of my life/or my life without them, and that maybe I was holding on thinking someday I'll have a bigger house again, etc. Well, I guess I have made a decision that I need to live my NOW life in the best way NOW. It helps - and suprises me - that I don't miss these things, and the increased space from fewer possesions is awesome. I have a long way to go but I'm really proud of my progress and thankful for those that have helped me on this forum. How about others...are you holding onto possesions because you love the items even though they may not be so useful anymore? Penny G.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz