SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renovatingwoman

Bad Drywall Job Over Plaster

renovatingwoman
13 years ago

I bought an old home that has a bad drywall job over plaster. Basically drywall was put in without regards to the trim around the windows and staircase. I googled for more information and it appears that if drywall was to be put over plaster then one would have had to have taken out trim around windows etc. right?

Anyways because of this there's jagged edges and I'm wondering what can be done. The home has two stories and this issue is only on the first floor. A drywall person said he could fix the minor cracks which are mostly at the seams of the drywall, and some of the tape that's showing through even on some ceilings. He said it would be about 1k.

I didn't ask yet or get a bid on what it would cost to tear off the drywall and then what, the plaster underneath too and start from scratch on the bottom floor of this house. Basically it's four windows between the living room and hallway that look terrible. And parts of the staircase where someone painted over the wood trim and then drywall sticks out - too thick - like around the windows (I think it was what 3/4" drywall cut around everything)...

I'm getting another bid in a few days - and ideas from a painter who works with both drywall guys and plaster guys. I don't know what he means but I believe he's saying one could take off the drywall and then hire a plaster person? Or would one take off the drywall and the plaster both and start over with drywall? I realize this isn't the end of the world worth say 10k because of four windows that will have window coverings anyways...

Comments (12)