SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darby_77

Help me decide which awnings - Pictures

darby_77
17 years ago

This is a cross post from the remodel forum. I was hoping to get a few more opinions before making the final decision...

I've received such great advice from this forum in the past and I'm hoping to you guys will be able to help me. I'm having trouble deciding which awnings to put on the front of my house. A little background...this is our (DH and I) first house, a boring 1950s ranch house. We bought it two years ago. The first two pictures show the house shortly after we moved in.

So far we've taken down the plastic shutters, replaced the vinyl siding with wood shingles, resurfaced the concrete porch and walk with limestone, landscaped, painted the front door black and added window boxes. Our next project is to add awnings, but I can't decide which ones to go with.

I really like the black and white awnings, but I've heard that your front door should stand out and should be a different color than the other colors on the house. Currently our door is black, so I don't know if the black awnings would drown out the entry?

Please forgive the appearance of the awning pictures. I did my best with photoshop. Keep in mind I also added in mature ivy, which we are currently trying to grow up the house to cover the brick. You'll also notice the soon-to-be created pillars and arches that will be added this summer.

On to the pictures...

BEFORE

STILL BEFORE, but after removing evergreen shrubs

So far we've taken down the plastic shutters, replaced the vinyl siding with wood shingles, resurfaced the concrete porch and walk with limestone, landscaped, painted the front door black and added window boxes. Our next project is adding awnings, but I can't decide which ones to go with.

HOUSE TODAY

BLACK AWNINGS W/ WHITE TRIM

{{gwi:2000708}}
CLOSE - UP OF THE BLACK AWNING

BROWN STRIPE AWNING

CLOSE UP OF BROWN AWNING FABRIC

TERRA COTTA AWNINGS

TURQOUOISE STRIPE AWNING

CLOSE-UP TURQUOISE STRIPE FABRIC

GRAY STRIPED AWNING

GRAY STRIPED FABRIC CLOSE UP

Let me know what you think!