SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tre3_gw

Yeah for me, I did something!

tre3
17 years ago

Sorry to be so boastful but I am pleased with myself. (LOL)

A recent post of mine (Help me make a decision) raised lots of questions in my mind about why and which things we keep.

My long term goal is to distill the majority of my possessions into those things that function well for me, that I find pleasing or beautiful and those I love. A short term goal has been to change a catchall space into a closet/dressing room with a remade desk as a vanity. Several days ago feeling very emotional about things and their previous owners, I went thru a drawer of jewelry. I am not much of a jewelry person but my grandmother was. I have a few good pcs. of jewelry, some stuff I adore and some "Junk". Several pcs. needed repair and had been moved from house to house, drawer to drawer for too many years.

Today I spent two hours at a jewelry store making arrangements! YEAH FOR ME! Most things required such minor repairs I'm ashamed I put it off for so long. So much energy (and opportunities to wear items) wasted because I "thought" it would be more complicated or expensive. A particular pin of my grandmother's I had not worn in over 25 years. It was missing a very small but prominent gem and I'm not much on pins. For an amazingly reasonable amount small gem can be replaced. Salesperson suggested removing the pin mechanism, reusing the metal and making it a pendant. The actual design and setting remain unchanged, only the function changes. Soon I will be able to wear this piece for special occasions and when I do, think of a woman I adored. How cool. All it took was a couple of hours and a small investment.

Now someday (far into the future!) my children will be left with something of value instead of a bunch of broken ,unuseable pcs. YEAH!

PS: Also took my pinking shears to be sharpen. Dear man, sharpened, still worthless for fabric. I am now the proud owner of the expensive scissors that only work to cut paper! BOO - but at least I can cross that off my list too!

Comments (14)