SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

I did it, I did it -- it worked, Yeah!!! Basjoo survived.

denninmi
13 years ago

I'm so proud of myself. It actually worked. The Musa basjoo I've babied for like 6 years in a pot, then committed to the ground last spring, overwintered.

IN MICHIGAN.

It's now resprouting from below the ground, which is what I expected. I didn't make any attempt to save the pseudostem, as that's pretty unrealistic in my climate without "extraordinary measures"

Also, I planted my Musella in the unheated greenhouse last spring along with various "hardy" palms -- these were surrounded with styrofoam panels and heated with cfc bulbs. It too is regrowing from the roots.

Now, whether or not this success can be repeated is a question -- it was an awfully mild winter for Michigan in terms of the lows, never got below Zero to speak of.

What I really wish I had was a nice planting bed up against the foundation of my house in full sun. Three sides of my house are paved over as patio areas/sidewalks. The north side isn't but is too shady for a banana. I understand that the heat from the foundation helps a lot in overwintering basjoo.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH