SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Ideas for strawberry-rhubarb 'sauce'

lpinkmountain
16 years ago

I put up eight half pints of what was supposed to be strawberry rhubarb jam. Made it with liquid pectin, which I HATE, but had some around to use up. The jam is really weird. It set up in the pan, but when I put it in jars and processed it, it turned all liquidy. Seems like the fruit and liquid have separated. I'm still hoping it gells, but not holding my breath. The last batch of hot pepper "syrup" I made never quite gelled and remained similarly separated. Note to self: no more jams with commercial pectin!

Anyway, my dad loves rhubarb and will be visiting so I'd like some help figuring out how to serve it. I have two thoughts, one is to serve it over a cake, but I don't know what kind of cake. Pound cake seems to rich to me. Angelfood? Maybe an applesauce cake? Does anyone have a good recipe for a cake that would be good with a warm strawberry rhubarb sauce on top? A small cake would be best.

The other thought is to make a tart with it. It is so runny that I thought I would make an apple tart and then mix that with the sauce. However, I'm still worried about it being too runny. Should I add some cornstarch or flour to the tart filling? I never use my tart pan, so making a cute tart appeals to me, but I'm always pinched for time so don't want to waste time making something that is a disaster.

Perhaps over crepes? Dad loves crepes too, but I don't know what to put inside. He's already had his fill of blintzes at my aunt's, I can't compete with her blintzes!

Ideas and recipes greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments (8)