SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock

Hubby throwing a real monkey wrench into my kitchen plans

Kristen Hallock
11 years ago

Ugh! I have this huge thing to rethink now.

DH has decided that the one thing he has to have in our new kitchen is a nice big built-in fridge. And he's not paying $10k for this either. He was looking at a BlueStar range with me the one time he agreed to go look at ranges and the shop owner showed him a 64" built in refridgerator, and now he has his heart set on that. The problem is that the wall where our 36" fridge was set to go in the new layout is only 61" long. I was going to put a 24" tall pantry cabinet + 36" fridge there. Now hubby wants to move doorways to gain a few more inches so he can have these 64" side by side electrolux units.

He said if I get my 36" range, he should get his built-in fridge. but I am afraid the space just isnt right for what he wants. He would settle for 2 24" units but the only ones I've found (Liebherr) seem kind of small. The fridge says its 13.8 cubic feet of space. Thats smaller than the fridge space in my old 25 cubic foot side by side Kitchen aid that is 36" wide.

He wants the fridge and freezer to be the same width. So a regular 48" fridge wont work.

Here is the layout I am planning on. Except now that fridge wall will probable be taking up entirely by a side by side built in fridge and we'd have to put a 24" wide pantry in the corner to the left of the range.

So will some kind of built in fridge work here? I feel like DH is not going to give in, and if he did I will be reminded of how he didnt get what he wants for the rest of our life together.

Comments (96)