SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pattygrow5

UPDATE: real Part 8-5th annual whats left on my want list swap

pattygrow5
14 years ago

HI all sorry I had to get out of bed to do this but here is a new thread!!!!

Patty

Comments (148)

• quiltingfox
    14 years ago

Here is a pic of Echeveria Imbricata:
    {{gwi:1314422}}

Best to you,
    quiltingfox

• agirlsgirl
    14 years ago

No, it is not Echeverias.

-It is a houseplant.
    -It is grown for it's foliage.
    -It does not have variegated foliage.
    -It is a succulent.
    -It does not have white in it's foliage.
    * Bonus hint: It does have a variegated flower
    -Plant doesn't get taller than 3',but flower stalk can be close.
    - it is not an Echeveria

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: #8-4th annual whats left on my want list swap

Q

Comments (121)
    Got 'em! I am absolutely delighted with the seeds I received this year-things I had on my list that I was sure no one would have to share were in that envelope. I have gone through them twice and will go back through them again after dinner. I am so happy to have all of the lovely peach colored flowers folks sent me. I have visions of a peach and blue garden and it is really coming together now. I also loved receiving all of the various Sweet Peas. I usually just grow a couple of varieties, but this year I will have them everywhere! I love it! Thanks to everyone who sent in their precious seeds! And Miss Patty, you did an incredible job! I am very appreciative. Alana
    ...See More

UPDATE: part 3 whats 5th annual whats left on my want list swap

Q

Comments (150)
    Hi, everyone! Mmmm, apple cider doghnuts. I've only had those once, and we ate the whole bag within 15 minutes of leaving the orchard. They're scrumptious! Ollierose, I try to know the botanical names for the plants I grow, (or at least list them with it) so I only look up botanical names that seem really familiar, because those may be seeds I can send in and I'm just not making the right mental connection. If I don't recognize it at all, it's not something I can send in. If you want to look things up, the fastest way I've found is 1. have the google toolbar 2. type the Latin and the word plantfiles 3. read all about it. That's also my first step in deciding if I want a plant, but I always look them up on a few sites, because they all have inaccuracies sometimes. I like to increase my chances for trades by making it easy for the trader to know that I have what they want, or they have what I want, by using both common names and latin. Except I'm sure I've neglected to do that completely :) It's another cold, grey day, and I have so much garden cleanup to do, still perennials to get in the ground, plus a couple hundred bulbs--but all I want to do is sit in front of the woodstove with my tiny kitten!
    ...See More

NEW: #2-5th annual whats left on my want list swap

Q

Comments (1)
    Please do not post here I the replies are not going to my e-mails post on the part 2 sign-up Thanks Patty
    ...See More

update: part 2 -- wlomwl swap (what's left on my want list swap)

Q

Comments (149)
    I am all too familiar with clutter. So acquainted, in fact, that I think most of it has become permanent features to the house. We have so much stuff now, we are having to move & build a bigger house. All of this "clutter" is actually things that we need & use regularly. We are just running out of spaces to put things. My husband & I each have our own hobbies that require a room all to ourselves to store everything. My plants have taken over the only usable guest bedroom, our closest shelves are on the verge of falling off the walls, his computer room can barely contain what he has in there, my art room you have to be an expert rock climber to get around in. I have always been one of those people who has the compulsion to hide things. I have things stuffed away in all cabinets through out the house, on top of the cabinets & refrigerator, stuff is under the beds, in drawers with clothes-if it can fit in a spot, I will squirrel it away. It helps keep my house looking nice & tidy.
    ...See More
  • perennialfan273
    14 years ago

Quiltingfox that echeveria is gorgeous!

Angie, I was just thinking: you should do the orange seed swap! The lion's tail would fit right in. I'd trade you for it in a hearbeat! I wish I could join the swap, but I've got so much homework to do, I barely have time to go on this swap. But, if anybody is interested in some cool orange flowers, these are some of the plants I recommend:
    -Echinacea (Tiki Torch, Tangerine Dream, Flamethrower, etc.)
    -Gaillardia (did I spell that right)
    -Globeflower (trollius spp.)
    -Root beer plant (agastache rupestris)
    -Siberian wallflower (erysimum forget the species lol)
    -Poppies!!
    -Daylilies
    -Butterfly weed (asclepias tuberosa)
    -Lion's Tail (Leonotis Leonurus)
    -Coleus "rustic orange"
    -If you know of others tell me!

• ollierose
    14 years ago

African daisies are really pretty and come in orange (although mostly in mixes). Cannas come in orange, some even have orange colors in the foliage. Orange king zinnia, orange cosmos. You can get orange sorghum on ebay pretty cheap. I bought some and hope to have some to share next year. The are types on amaranthus that are orange. There is also an orange carex grass I've seen at some local private nurseries recently. Pansies, and there are certain types of crocosmia are orange. Begonias and impatiens come in orange. The flowers aren't orange, but you could consider pumpkin on a stick and orange ornamental peppers. Maybe some mini pumpkins on a trellis. You could even use some orange tomatoes and edible orange peppers. Orange thyme and mint would fit into an orange theme garden. There's lots of orange out there!

• jas_il
    14 years ago

Is it bromeliads?

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Well, I have a succulent with a flower stalk that is close to 3' - Aloe vera. I didn't even realize they bloomed, LOL, and the stalk kept getting taller, and taller. I finally had to move it out of the kitchen window, because the stem was all bent over. Don't know if it meets the variegated bloom requirement though...

• agirlsgirl
    14 years ago

Tulips,blackberry lily,geraniums and marigolds!

-It is a houseplant.
    -It is a succulent.
    - it is not an Echeveria

• agirlsgirl
    14 years ago

-It is a houseplant.
    -It is a succulent.
    - It is not an Echeveria
    -It is not bromeliads
    -It is not Aloe
    *Has a common name that may lead some people to believe it was edible,but is not!;)

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

I didn't know it was Lion's Tail, I was thinking it could be gomphocarpus physocarpus. I've heard they are prickly when harvesting, and it fit everything else pretty well. It's great that your lion tail got so tall!

• agirlsgirl
    14 years ago

It really was magnificent! Last year they were only about 3-4',I am thinking it was the compost and manure that gave them a boost this year!:)

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    14 years ago

I have been so clueless on these last two. I should just be glad I actually got a Rudbeckia! But, here's a question. Are the leaves pointed or more rounded?

Deanna

P.S. For the last one I was planning to guess gomphocarpus physocarpus, too, because of the prickly clue, but I was pretty sure it would be wrong. The main reason I wanted to guess it is because this plant's nicknames totally tickle me. My favorite one so far is "Family Jewels Plant." I'd like to plant it because my garden will not only delight me, but will also crack me up!

• agirlsgirl
    14 years ago

She's back! The leaves are pointed.Some plant names really are hilarious!:)

-It is a houseplant.
    -It is a succulent.
    - It is not an Echeveria
    -It is not bromeliads
    -It is not Aloe
    *Has a common name that may lead some people to believe it was edible,but is not!;)
    -It has pointed leaves

• morguegirl
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone,

My father passed away this past Thursday, two days before his 81st birthday. He and I were very close. Needless to say, this week has been incredibly hard for me. I had been packing up my seeds before this, but I just have too much to do before Wednesday's deadline. I am sorry that I have to drop out at this late stage. I was looking forward to this swap and had wished to share my goodies with others.

Amy

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

Amy, I am so sorry for your loss.I dont know i you will be online to get this message or not, but my prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.
    Tammy

• drippy
    14 years ago

Oh, Amy, my sincere sympathies on the loss of your dear father. It will be a bittersweet Thanksgiving for you as you celebrate his life while mourning his loss.

I do hope that you will email your address to Patty - I'm reasonably certain I sent seeds in for everyone in the swap, and I would have absolutely no problems with your getting the ones I sent in for you - and I bet I can speak for several others as well. Maybe you can start a special memorial garden just for him?

Take care, and God bless you.

• tammyinwv
    14 years ago

Great idea drippy!
    Tammy

• neohippie
    14 years ago

Patty, I'm planning on finishing packing up my seeds after work tonight and dropping them off at the post office night drop for shipping out tomorrow. I know I'm cutting it close, but they'll get there.

Sorry about your loss, Amy.

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Amy - I'm so sorry for your loss. I too was close to my dad when he passed away and I know how difficult it is. You're just never prepared and it's so hard to lose our loved ones especially around the holidays. Take care and our prayers are with you and your family.

Toni

• agirlsgirl
    14 years ago

Amy,my condolences also. It is very hard to lose someone you love so much,my heart goes out to you!

I am in bed sick as a dog!The mystery plant is pregnant onion,apparently no one is interested in it. Anyway,I am done with the game,I feel really lousy and am ripping my hair out thinking my sons bday is wednesday and I am supposed to have dinner here on thurs....oh why now? I had a feeling I was fighting something for awhile now,and it finally caught up to me!
    well,back to bed!

• quiltingfox
    14 years ago

Amy I am so sorry for your loss. Angie hope you get well soon. I will say a little prayer for both of you.

Best to you,
    quiltingfox

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    14 years ago

Hope you feel better VERY VERY SOON!! Nothing like being sick when the kids need a mom. You're very mysterious on those mystery plants. I had no idea, which is certainly not a surprise! But, it was awfully good fun while it was around, and I really appreciate you doing it. Have a great and healthy Thanksgiving and birthday celebration.

Deanna

• paulan70
    14 years ago

Patty

My envie went out today but knowing my post office it won't go out until tomorrow morning. Thanks

Paula

• drippy
    14 years ago

Angie, if young son is old enough to understand (which may be 20-something, LOL - or maybe earlier, if you're lucky), wish him a happy day, tell him you will celebrate when you feel better, and let him take care of you. It really will make him feel good.

This, of course, is assuming you're still sick on Wednesday, which I truly hope you're not! Sick at the holidays is rough.

• agirlsgirl
    14 years ago

Thanks drippy! He is going to be 8 and really was looking forward to a couple buddies having cake with him. We plan to have a larger party in a couple weeks for him being his bday fell so close to Thanksgiving again this year. But if I dont feel any better I dont want to pass my germs on to anyone else. So we will have to see how it goes. I am thinking maybe we can do ice cream with the buddies after we sing happy bday at home. DH can take the boys to DQ or something...oh...this really stinks! Yes it is terrible timing to be sick when you have holiday matters to deal with! Something will work out it always does! I appreciate the well wishes,you guys are so sweet! :)

Well I am off to get seeds packed,don't worry I am using hand sanitizer!;)

• pattygrow5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all I got 4 more packs today
    barefootgardener12-gmom2-6boys-sunsetin-deanna_in_nh
    Here is the updated list if your name has a question mark it means you didn't LMK when or if you were mailing

1 pattygrow5-HERE mostly done I am still waiting for a few
    2 angelady-mail by Wenesday
    3 morguegirl-Dropped Out
    4 ilovefarac-mail by Wenesday
    5 ollierose-mail by Wenesday
    6 sguanzon-RECEIVED
    7 austinnhanasmom-RECEIVED
    8 jaynine-RECEIVED
    9 rbrady-mail by Tuesday
    10 stage_rat-mail by Tuesday
    11 highalttransplant-RECEIVED
    12 slo_garden-RECEIVED
    13 kilngod-mail by Tuesday
    14 conniesc-RECEIVED
    15 ishareflowers-RECEIVED
    16 barefootgardner12-RECEIVED
    17 agirlsgirl- deliver this weekend
    18 lisam627_ohio_z6-mail by Wenesday
    19 patty_b-RECEIVED
    20 just1morehosta-RECEIVED
    21 dirtdiggin-RECEIVED
    22 joy_unspeakable-RECEIVED
    23 poisondartfrog-RECEIVED
    24 patrob-RECEIVED
    25 perennialfan27-?????
    26 mao_tse_mom-RECEIVED
    27 sassybutterfly_2008-mail by Wenesday
    28 ggwrn-mail by Tuesday
    29 julie_mn-SENDING SOON
    30 kamiljablo-????
    31 pumkingal-RECEIVED
    32 beverlysc- Mailed
    33 sandlapper_rose-RECEIVED
    34 ruthz-RECEIVED
    35 bhnash-mail by Wenesday
    36 gardenmom2-????
    37 jas_il-RECEIVED
    38 strmywthr3-mail by Wenesday
    39 debby_1-RECEIVED
    40 kalena67-????
    41 suecirish--RECEIVED
    42 sunset_in-RECEIVED
    43 paulan70-Mailed
    44 smpetrou-????
    45 sakura_komichi-mail by Wenesday
    46 sandysgardens-RECEIVED
    47 vikingkirken-mail by Wenesday
    48 drippy-RECEIVED
    49 tammyinwv-RECEIVED
    50 molanic-RECEIVED
    51 chemocurl-mail by Wenesday
    52 gmom2-6boys-RECEIVED
    53 smitties-RECEIVED
    54 proudgm_03-RECEIVED
    55 ibartoo-Dropped Out
    56 rane_grow-RECEIVED
    57 esiuol-Mailed
    58 alwaysagarden-RECEIVED
    59 jacoblily-mail by Wenesday
    60 micyrey-RECEIVED
    61 threeshyacres-mail by Wenesday
    62 neohippie-mail by Tuesday
    63 dorisl-RECEIVED
    64 deanna_in_nh-RECEIVED
    65 quiltingfox-RECEIVED
    66 columbine21-mail by Wenesday
    67 grovespirit-mail by Wenesday
    68 hibiscusfan-RECEIVED
    69 luvgardening2-????
    Amy sorry to hear of your loss
    Patty

• beverlysc
    14 years ago

My seeds were mailed today....happy gardening. Bev.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Here is the updated list if your name has a question mark it means you didn't LMK when or if you were mailing
    Hi Patty,

Did you by any chance email these folks and have just not gotten a response yet? I'm going to be trying to finish up my packing tonight if at all possible, and if it looks like some may have dropped out, I may leave theirs until last, in case I just plain run out of time/energy.

I 'will' be mailing Tues or Wed.

Sue

• ollierose
    14 years ago

Hey Sue - Patty has emailed everyone that she hasn't heard from. Those are the people that haven't responded to her.

I'm going to have to be a seed packing fool tonight! I've got most of it done, but still have some last minute items to pack!

• neohippie
    14 years ago

Ok, my seeds went in the mailbox this morning. I was in a rush and almost forgot to include return postage! I also ran out of sandwich baggies so I put the screenname of the person they're for directly on a few of the packs.

Hope they get there ok.

14 years ago

LAST CALL! I will be finishing up the Spec Req and others I have noted from lists, and can maybe take a couple more Spec Req if anyone happens to see anything of special interest to them. I did add one more thing to my HAVE list this AM and also deleted a few things I am out of and marked a few of them as OUT I am fairly up to date on that now, I think.

Since I am usually a glutton for punishment, and almost always run at the eleventh hour, feel free to email me with any requests. Time and seeds allowing I will do my best to get them packed and included. I may not respond to the email though until later...like after Thanksgiving.

Sue

• karenh71867
    14 years ago

Hi all! I apologize for not checking in. Patty, my seeds will go out tomorrow. I was waiting to pick more seed, but the weather is just not cooperating. I'll get back to my seed packing!

Karen

• columbine21
    14 years ago

Hi, all. I guess I will have to mail my seeds out on Wednesday. I was trying to get them mailed today but plumb ran out of time.

Amy, I'm sorry to hear you lost your beloved dad. I lost my grandpa this summer due to heart problems.

Angie, just try to take it easy for a while. You have added to the fun of this swap a great deal already and now you deserve a rest. Hope you're over the bug soon.

Rebekah

• ggwrn
    14 years ago

Patty,
    Just wanted to let you know that I mailed my seeds yesterday.

Ginger

14 years ago

Ok...so Rebekah and I are still frantically working to fill as many wants as possible...I know this because she sort of 'admitted' it to me via email.

My question is this...Are there any other procrastinators out there? Who are you? It would be comforting to know that Rebekah and I aren't they only ones getting things together here at the 11th hour.

Btw...still taking a few more requests, if I have the seeds and time to fill them. I 'am' an optimist so feel free to drop me an email and I'll do the best I can. I fear I 'might' not be sending in enough to cover those things that have been sent in for me.

Sue

• jas_il
    14 years ago

Sue,
    I would like Asiatic lily Tiny Todd and some others. I am really looking for Asiatic lilies.

I sent you an email. Thanks a lot

Amy, I am sorry about your lose. Praying for you so that the peace of God be with you.

Jasmine
    jas_il #37

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Sue, you aren't the only procrastinator! I've been planting bulbs while the weather has been cooperating. And had several family issues to deal with. Also had to clean and pack and grind up a deer my grandson got. Just seems to always be something to do instead of packing. Been working on it, but won't be able to send what I wanted! I tell myself every year I am going to be one of the first to send in and never works. I'll have mine in the am, but still have to cook for 3 different houses for the holidays! Looks like it will be almost an all nighter for me!
    My heart goes out to all who have lost someone esp. at this time of year! It is hard!
    Hope all who are ill--get better soon ! Melinda

• gmom2-6boys
    14 years ago

Hi all!
    I'm so sorry to hear about the lose of a loved one.

Also for the ones who are not feeling up to par, I sorry.

I have been very cautious of when I'm out in public. Using sanitizers and things. I've been burning lots of candles around the house because I've read that they burn up virus. Also put out onions around the house for the same reason.

These games have been fun even though I'm not on here enough to get in much guessing. The game is over by the time I check in.

Sue, you are not the only procrastinator. I'm sure there are some out there that would not even admit to being one. This is one time in my life that I made the deadline before hand.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
    Sharon

14 years ago

Well I am guitting for the night. I got all of the Special Requests filled anyway, plus a few more, and still want to go over a couple of member's lists and get a few more things together in the AM over coffee.

Sue, you are not the only procrastinator. I'm sure there are some out there that would not even admit to being one.
    I suspected that there were at least a few more folks 'like me'.

Oh Melinda, I would be going nutso at the thought of preparing 3 dinners. I have been wanting to deer hunt myself the past week and a half, but only went once due to so much needing done here...and I still have a bunch of blasted bulbs to get planted yet.

Sue

• bhnash
    14 years ago

I too am up at the 11th hour, still packing seeds. Unfortunately I was unable to get back to the Salvia garden to collect the seed I had planned on. So I am very sorry to say that some of the Salvias have only five seeds per pack, and some I wasn't able to get at all. I was able to fill all other requests from my regular list. I know now, that next year I will package my rarer seeds first in reasonable amounts, and only make offers that I have in hand. I sincerely apologize for dissappointing some of you who made requests. Lesson learned.

Tomorrow I still have to sort into individual baggies too, so I am really cutting it waaaaaay too close.

• grovespirit
    14 years ago

Aloha folks, I did it!! :)
    I was able to package up 1 or 2 seed packets for every participant. :)

My seeds are all packed up and ready to mail out tomorrow morning at the airport before I get whisked off to another island.

Unable to find a bubble mailer here in my apt, so unless I can buy one at the airport PO tomorrow, I may have to mail my seeds in a box.

Also- I won't be able to post the DC# of my package until several days after T-giving. Family members have decided to take me with them on vacation to a nearby island which has little to no Internet access.

Wishing you all a safe and blessed holiday.

• austinnhanasmom
    14 years ago

AHHH - grovespirit - SO jealous!!

Wishing you all a wonderful holiday -

Deb

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

well I finished up packing at 5:34am this morning..lol I pulled an all-nighter but I managed to get it done. so Sue you're not the only one!

Putting them all in the envy now and heading to the p.o.

hugs,
    Wendy / sassyb...

14 years ago

Aloha folks, I did it!! :)
    I was able to package up 1 or 2 seed packets for every participant. :)
    Amazing! Also wishing you a Happy Holiday!

well I finished up packing at 5:34am this morning..lol I pulled an all-nighter but I managed to get it done. so Sue you're not the only one!
    Oh my. You really stuck to it! I quit at 1 AM because I didn't want to be tired today and maybe even tomorrow and maybe be grumpy around a lot of folks. I had 'thought' I would do more this AM, but my AADD got in the way. I may send a few extra things out Fri, and if they throw a kink into the sorting they can just be kept to be passed on as bonuses sometime later.

Whew...glad to be over the seeds for a day or so.

Sue

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

Patty,
    I would appreciate it if any seeds I sent for Amy be sent on to her also.
    I miss so many posts that it makes my head spin when I try to catch up, but I am excited that we are getting close to the finale!
    I should have more time to keep up with things in January.
    Have a great holiday,
    Alana

• esiuol
    14 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!

I had a seed packing marathon over the weekend. (I hit the max of 250 pack this year, WooHoo!!) My seeds went in the mail on Monday.

I hope you all have a wonderful day tomorrow.

Louise

• Sweet Sakura
    14 years ago

I finally mailed my seeds today. Yay!

Happy T-day everyone.

~CA

• columbine21
    14 years ago

Well, it's good to hear that Sue and I aren't the only procrastinators,lol!

This afternoon I FINALLY mailed my package out. If I counted right, there are 206 seed packets inside. Some of those are extras. I would have sent more if time permitted.
    I had at least one thing for all but a few people.

If I participate in this swap next year, I will NOT wait until the last minute. I have learned my lesson this time...I think,lol.

Happy Thanksgiving,all!

Rebekah

• quiltingfox
    14 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!! :-)

Best to you,
    quiltingfox

• ollierose
    14 years ago

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

I hope you all experience good company, a full gut, a nap afterwords, and a Thanksgiving fairy to clean up all the mess (like that's gonna happen, right!?!?)! Ah, one can dream!

The deadline to mail has passed, so now we begin the excitement of waiting for our envies to arrive! Heehee, that part is love-hate! I love the excitement of the unknown, but I hate the waiting for the mail to come!

Diana :)

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

I also got mine out this am! Not as many as planned but not enough time! Such a procrastinator!
    I wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving!! May you all have a very blessed day!
    Be safe on all your trips and all who are ill, I hope are soon better!
    And yes, Diana--the wait is a killer!! But so worth it!
    Melinda