SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dutty_gw

Design Help - Ikea Super Hack (cross-post)

dutty
10 years ago

Greetings everyone!

I'm really hoping I can get a little design input here (I cross-posted to home decorating). My kitchen was originally supposed to be yellow:

I think the yellow gives off a really "organic" vibe. Well, DH decided at the last minute that he just can't have a yellow kitchen. He feels like yellow is too hard to get right and it'll look like his mom's old kitchen! So, I went back to white BUT I don't want an all-white kitchen and I wanted my island different. He chose blue and fell in love with SW Meditative. I like the blue we've picked (it is elsewhere in the house) but now I'm a bit concerned that without the earthy yellow, the gray blue looks too cold with the stainless and nickel and now the attached family room space and the kitchen no longer coordinate.

Another issue is, I've shopped with a yellow kitchen in mind and now I've got what I've got and I'm worried it's too disparate. Then again, I sorta dig it at the same time. I've compiled a mood board:

I own all the light fixtures and furniture, except for the Windsor counter stool. We have reclaimed barn wood going on the fireplace and the media console is also reclaimed. So, I'm wondering how to cross-polinate this to make it work.

- Am I just so used to yellow that I'm freaking about blue but actually it'll work?

- Bring the blue into the family room with some pillows and foot-stools?

- Bring the rustic-ness of the family into the kitchen with black cabinet hardware?

- Bring the reclaimed wood vibe to the counter with the windsor stools?

- Change the island color? Leave it white?

- fight for the yellow kitchen?

The following things have yet to be purchased:
Rugs
Backsplash
cocktail table
island stools
sofa table/desk
lamps
kitchen table chairs

Thoughts?

The fireplace can have soapstone instead of brick but the adjacent hall is brick:

Basic "undecorated" Mock Ups:

Comments (13)