SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Hacking IKEA cab for trash pullout

8 years ago

I promised to post about how I hack an IKEA cab for trash pullout under the sink.

I'm using two cabs- 36" and 18" for the Stages Kohler 45. I had to readjust the island configuration a bit as the plumbing was in the wrong place after switching from custom to IKEA and some design changes.

The plumbing was done over a year ago before I had any detailed plans. I only roughed out in my head what I wanted.

I struggled with putting the piping inside or outside the cab. After measuring out the garbage disposal, hot water tank, water filter, electrical box and allowance for connection piping, it was way too crowded there with 16".

I went with outside the cab.

I'll be cutting holes for the hookup but also planning on piano doors that opens into that space for access after everything is in.

The sink hole is on the right side just above the disposal that I measured in the first picture. I'm screwing in a filler in the middle and installing slides on the left. I randomly pulled out an 18" drawer in the dark and it was the wrong one. I'll be switching to the deep 18" drawer so that I can set up the Utrusta auto trash.

The Fastbo backsplash sheet you see will be my waterproof sink liner. It will also run completely up the side walls. The liner on the right will be a removable unit. the left side will be glued due to the slides. Total cost is $21.

Hopefully this will allow me to disinfect with bleach frequently without destroying the cabinet paint.

Comments (18)