SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cplover

Help! Need Paint Color for Kitchen (Cross Posted in Decorating)

cplover
12 years ago

I am working on a kitchen remodel of a small 1950s ranch and was told by my contractor that I need to choose a paint color by the mid of the this week! EEK!

The decisions for the kitchen that have already been made are

- cabinets (Lindingo-Ikea which I read somewhere is BM-Simply White)

- floors (hardwood - Bruce oak-- orangey/gold toned natural--typical in 1950s homes, which is throughout the home)

- countertops (soapstone, dark charcoal when oiled with a blue-ish tone and some minimal white veining)

- stainless steel appliances, stainless steel sinks/faucets.

We have not decided on

- cabinet hardware

- 2- pendant light fixtures over peninsula

- 1 chandelier over dining table (thinking drum shade, possible of a texture or pattern).

- backsplash (I would like to do a white true subway or 4x8 tile (http://www.daltileproducts.com/series.cfm?series=231) backsplash but want to make sure it fits. Someone suggested to me that a 1950s home is not appropriate for a subway tile backsplash)

- rug under dining table (was thinking sisal/jute rug)

- two bar stools

The kitchen/dining area is one rectangle that is roughly 11 x 21. We have no other dining room. So a small space with two east facing windows.

I love the look of the Something's Gotta Give kitchen and also the kitchen on Brothers & Sisters. Really like casual & simple and gravitate towards neutral colors with touches of modern (transitional?). I guess sorta Pottery Barn-esque. The room has two openings into the living room (one from the kitchen and one from the dining area). The living room and hallway are painted in Home Depot "Fresh Aire" (http://www.freshairechoice.com/community/PaletteSelectorPage.html) color called "Waive of Grain" . The closet color I can compare it to in BM would be Monroe Bisque. However, changing the living room color is an option since that is the next room to be remodeled and nothing in that room is staying. As for the colors in the rest of the home my bedroom is in a gray-blue, the office a sage green and the guest bedroom is "sisal" a greeny taupe color (Looks great with lots of natural sunlight during the middle of the day-- but more of an olive/army green when the light is less.

I am leaning towards a green or blue gray (BM Affinity: Windchime, Metropolitan, Tranquility ) or more of a true gray (BM-Thunder) OR just keeping it more neutral (BM- Manchester Tan, Edgecomb Gray) which would resemble more of a warm color like the Something's Gotta give kitchen. My main concerns in picking a color is that there is going to be a lot of white for the cabinets on the kitchen walls and a matching white floor to almost ceiling pantry that is 70" long. My second concern are the wood floors that are pretty orange.

TIA for your suggestions!

Comments (25)