SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gabbythecat

Anniversary event

gabbythecat
12 years ago

My inlaws (MIL/FIL) are celebrating their 60th anniversary this weekend. The children (my sibling in laws) have arranged to take them out to dinner in honor of the occasion. It'll just be immediate family - not a big bash at all, and this was arranged only within the last week. My dh and I never agreed to go; in fact, we told the siblings that we might have a hard time attending on the chosen night for this event. A few days ago we confirmed for the family that we would not be able to attend. We did not give a specific reason - is that necessary? I've always thought that specific reasons are not necessary (outside of a marriage, of course). A polite - "we'd like to be able to attend, but we won't be able to" should be sufficient.

We've heard from a couple of dh's siblings, basically trying to guilt us into attending this dinner. We will be the only sibling/spouse not attending. We aren't because it's been a difficult week for us in a lot of ways, but also we really don't like being pressured into attending, nor into giving what the others will deem "acceptable" reasons for not. We are doing what is right for us, for our marriage - isn't that enough?

Is a 60th anniversary typically *that* big of a deal? Do we owe the siblings an explanation of why we aren't attending?

Comments (53)