SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flyingflower

9/11 Memorial Fountains in NYC

flyingflower
12 years ago

DH & I have been watching the documentary "RISING". BTW it's excellent, if you haven't seen it I highly recommend this series.

On the episode where they talk about the construction of the two fountains (largest man-made waterfalls in the US) one thing kept popping up in our minds...what's to prevent people from hopping over the bronze parapet to committ suicide? There's a plateau on the other side to catch accidental falls but after that it's a scary 30 foot drop. The parapet is gently sloped and waist-high to make it easy to view the names so there's no stopping a person or child from climbing on top of it, perhaps thinking they can play in the water on the other side...or worse. What's to stop someone from doing what is done all the time on bridges,etc? Sounds ghoulish but you know someone will try it. What then? Ugly chain link fencing? DH & I both can't look at this fountain without saying, "what were they thinking!" This has danger written all over it. It's too obvious for no one else to have come to the same conclusion yet they mentioned nothing about it in the documentary (probably don't want to give anyone any ideas). Is there something we're not seeing?

Here is a link that might be useful: Memorial pool

Comments (27)