SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drtygrl_gw

landscaping at the 9/11 memorial

drtygrl
12 years ago

I haven't been to ground zero for 8 years now. The last time I was there, they were finished holding funerals for the victims, but they were holding a service for a police dog killed responding with its policeman. All the other policemen and their dogs were lined up. Each dog went up to the photo of the deceased dog with its trainer and knelt down. One dog started howling and the next thing all of the dogs - hundreds- were howling and it was echoing off the buildings and floating across the water. Both of my children burst into tears. It was very surreal.

We all have these experiences and moments that galvanize our feelings about 9/11. Being a New yorker originally and working in the financial district for several years, just prior to the 1993 bombing (I luckily moved 2 weeks before that happened) is a very important and sensitive issue for me.

I was wondering if you had looked at or visited the memorial and what you thought of it. I am limited to looking at it through pictures at this point in time, but i think it captures a lot of my feelings about what this site should be. Ever since I heard the idea, I have loved the waterfall in the footprints of the towers. The shape and proximity of the towers is captured and memorialized but the use of water and the cleansing metaphor is soothing. The balance of safety, memorials, practical concerns and costs is truly an unfathomable scale of project.

Here is a link that might be useful: interview with the la

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor