SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaag98

1875 Farmhouse Restoration - Where to Start?

lisaag98
16 years ago

My husband and I are considering restoring the house that is on our family farm here in Texas. The house was built by my great great grandfather, probably around 1875, although we are not sure of the exact date. I'm also not sure of the exact style of the house, but it is one story and probably no more than 1,200 square feet with two bedrooms, a living room, and a bathroom. The kitchen was clearly added on later. The house has fallen into disrepair over the years, but it still has many original features including the original mouldings, colored glass, original doors, etc.

The house needs everything - the foundation needs to be leveled, it needs to be painted inside and out, and it needs new wiring, new plumbing, insulation, and many many more things. Our initial goal is to make it livable, so that we could stay there on the weekends. Our long term goal is to add on to it and make it a part time retirement home for when we retire in 25 years. We are very handy and are planning to do a lot of the work ourselves.

So, where do we start? Our initial thought was to get estimates on the foundation repair and get a pest/termite inspection to see what kind of issues we have. Any other ideas or advice?

Comments (3)