SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bananafana_gw

my house suddenly hates me

bananafana
17 years ago

I've been restoring an 1929 tudor revival for the last 10 years of the 18 years we've lived here. The house has always been cooperative and seemed to appreciate the effort. Suddenly it's as if the house hates me and everything is breaking. This started slowly last fall, and now it's a new thing every week. Dishwasher just stopped. Boiler stopped. Two toilets broke. 2 year old fridge is acting up. Water softener stopped. Weird spot on ceiling just appeared and dropped plaster for a day, then stopped. Gate hinges bent. It's so weird and it's wearing me out.

I've often felt the presense of the original owner who built the house. He died in my bedroom. But he's always been a friendly feeling and has seemed to approve. His daughter who also lived here as an adult and raised her kids here, stopped by this fall when we were repainting the exterior and I gave her the tour. She loved everything except the light blue color chip I showed her for the deep overhang/eves in the back of the house. I know that this choice was a stretch but I wanted a little bit of fun out in the backyard. I swear that ever since this little bit of blue paint went up, my house is punishing me. I have this feeling that the old guy is mad at me for going too far. I do have a flock of pink flamingos in the back yard, so I have pressed the limits in the back yard, but it's still very nice.

I want to keep the blue, but I guess I need to make peace with the old guy. Any ideas? I know this sounds crazy.

Comments (2)