SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patricia_parks4989714

I've got it bad...

Patricia Parks
15 years ago

I have fallen in love with a late-1700s house in a small village in upstate NY. I drove past it many times while visiting a hospitalized relative, and it caught my eye right off the bat. It has been structurally restored up to an 1830s addition, which is a disaster, many layers of bad remodel, bad sills, etc. There is a dug well, and the septic is probably period as well... The interior of the original part has been gutted, framed in but not finished; what has been done appears to be well done, though a very thorough inspection is in order. The property is in a registered historic district. The owner is elderly, his wife has died and he has lost heart for the project. He did some really nice things like install a period fanlight over the original door, recreate exterior trim features, replace antique glass in the windows, etc.; but there's still a great deal to be done. Appliances are there but not installed. Nothing is really finished.

There's a nice, fairly new garage/workshop on the property. I know old houses are money pits, and they don't come much older than this! If all goes according to plan, which it never does, we could buy it outright, and still have some money to put into it to get it liveable; how far it would go remains to be seen. Well and septic would have to be planned for at some point, might as well be right up front!

I am checking things out regarding the historic designation and what that means in terms of restrictions on what can be done. DH is willing to get estimates on the sill work and to have a thorough inspection, etc. I think this place has huge potential, though right now it looks unkempt and neglected. Somebody talk me out of it...

Comments (9)