SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cuervo55

2 of 3 eggs out of box & on ground

laura55
12 years ago

Since moving to SC 6 years ago, I have been the proud grandma of 2-3 bluebird broods a year. Thanks to all of your helpful advice and the sialis site also. But this year a problem has come up and I don't know what to do.

For the first time, it appeared that a chickadee had built a next in the box (moss and feathers). Next thing I know, there is a bluebird nest (pinestraw) built on top of it. I started monitoring and last week there were 3 BB eggs. Two days later, there was only 1 egg and 2 were on the ground, one broken. I put the unbroken one back in the nest. That was last Thursday and since then I've seen bluebirds looking in the nest and chattering, but nothing else. Still only 2 eggs. I've got a bad feeling.

Never had anything like this happen before. The pole is baffled. I know the nest is a bit higher being there are 2 on top of each other, but it still doesn't seem high enough for another bird to reach thru the hole. Do you think a pissed off chickadee booted the eggs? How long should I wait before cleaning the box and hoping someone builds again?

Comments (3)