SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

Back to the drawing board as suggested. Redone layout comments?

deedles
11 years ago

So, as suggested we've gone back to the drawing board. As some of you remember, taking the wall down b/w the kitchen and LR made the nearly completed U plan uncomfortable for me.

So, DH and I each drew up what we thought could work and this is the hybrid of the two.

Our shared goals are; to keep as much wall b/w kitchen and porch open, as the nicest view of the river is out the porch windows, to keep the flow between the rooms open as it's a small house and we didn't want to box it up in the shared spaces. And to find a place for my Grandmothers hutch.

DH wanted a place to sit in the kitchen and preferably have it be a space that he could spread out and do work ("like taxes").
He really liked the idea of a raised breakfast bar (42" high) for some reason. He can't really say why, I think he just likes the look.

I like to look outside when I'm working so nice windows were important to me. I want to maximize storage, esp the base cabinets and pantry space. Also, in the process of working the U plan, someone said something about the peninsula leg being a barrier and whoever said that, thank you. That comment caused me to realize that what was also important to me in the overall layout was flexibility. Occasionally, we have more than a couple extra people over and need to seat 10-12 people. Room to open up a table somewhere would be nice. And once that peninsula was in, the flexibility was gone.

One other factor was to maximize seating possibilities on the porch, which is basically to put seating along the kitchen wall. We were going to have a dedicated eating area on the porch, but this new layout puts the main table in the kitchen with the option of having a small one on the porch for eating, using a laptop, staring outside or whatever.

So, here is the back to the drawing board layout. It seems to give us both most of what we want, not everything but most of it.

I realize that there are imperfect elements such as the stove being on the wall close to where the main entry doorway is and there will be traffic behind me. But, it's just the two of us and a few times a year our little grandchildren and more frequently our grown children. It seems an okay trade for a better layout.

The yellow circles are proposed ceiling lighting locations. Would also have undercab lighting and possibly some recessed if need be.

All cabs go to the ceiling (9') except the one on the table wall. That would be a shallow wall mount, more decorative cabinet.

Okay. 'Nuff said. Thoughts, comments, suggestions welcomed.

Comments (29)