SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blazedog_gw

Computers, Organization & Clutter

blazedog
19 years ago

I had posted a thread in which someone responded that they printed stuff from the computer because they were afraid of the computer crashing.

Wow -- My computer is my lifeline. It has my finances, my addresses, important documents, work templates, my music, my form files for work, pictures -- I can't imagine functioning without the data I've acquired over the more than a decade in which I've had a series of home computers.

Your hard drive will die eventually -- suddenly and inevitably. That's a fact of life. If not this hard drive then another hard drive.

I back up everything onto an external hard drive. My financial data from Quicken is updated each time I use the program. My other data is backed up once a week on a regular basis or everytime I add something that is irreplaceable such as digital photos.

I really would urge anyone who is operating without the safety net of an external drive for backup to get one as soon as possible. When your computer dies, it is the difference between plugging your external hard drive into the new machine and being up and running immediately with almost no inconvenience or starting from scratch with everything gone from your computer. In the event of a fire or other catastrophe, I would grab my external hard drive (which is about the size of a modem) and be out the door with all my important papers.

Thanks to the person who posted as I realized I hadn't done a complete back up since before Christmas -- I am now completely up to date and have also burned a CD with my most crucial data which I intend to take off site in the event of a catastrophe while I am not home (and not there to carry out the external hard drive).

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH