SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

I wonder who has campaigned against school taxes

alisande
12 years ago

Over the years I've heard a lot of complaints from retired people about being forced to pay hefty school taxes. Their position was that they paid willingly throughout the years when their children went to school, but they shouldn't be expected to continue to shell out indefinitely--especially with school taxes going up all the time.

Now our Pennsylvania government is reducing their contribution to school districts, which means the taxpayers will have to make up the difference. I'm beginning to understand why those retirees were angry.

The argument on the other side is that citizens of any age should contribute to the education of the community's young, because this education benefits everyone. But what if you don't agree that the young are educated? What if you feel as though your school district is sadly lacking?

I was a school parent, a homeschooling parent, a newspaper reporter, and the wife of a school board member. I know a lot about our school district, and I would be delighted to stop supporting it financially. This article about an insane situation in a Canadian school started me thinking, because it could definitely happen here.

Does anyone have an idea how I can find out if an organized campaign has ever been mounted to exempt people over 65 from paying school taxes?

Comments (43)