SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Joy Of [Beach Cabin] Cooking

John Liu
13 years ago

There's no particular point to this post. I'm just having fun this week.

Every year, we and several friends, plus a horde of children, spend some time together at a beach cabin on a lake in California. Between morning paddles on a glassy clear lake, reading ancient 50 cent paperbacks, serious naps, and evening duck-chasing paddles - even the fastest kayak is no match for ducks who can practically run on the water - we eat. Fortunately, there's some enthusiastic cooks among our group, so we never go hungry.

I always learn something. For example, on Monday I watched A___ make inside-out hamburgers, with the mushrooms, avocado and cheese layered inside the patty. Something I've never seen before, and they were tasty. On Tuesday, T___ served up the most delectable pesto sans garlic or at least virtually sans garlic. Her spouse can't digest raw garlic, so she figured out this variant, and will, I hope, give me the recipe. It would be a good ''first date'' pesto, for those of us still in the dating and mating stage of life. We also had a tomato pesto, or pesto a la trapanese, with succulent heirloom tomatoes from the Tuesday farmers' market, which taught me that some dishes should only be made when the produce is perfect, because I now won't ever want to have this dish with store-bought teflon tomatoes. I'm hoping N____ makes her incredible French tartines this year. They are more beautiful than anything in a Parisian vitrine.

For dinner on Tuesday, my contribution was boeuf borguignon. What is it with internet recipes for this dish? Fine, so I only read 3 of the 15,329 boeuf borguignon recipes online, but those called for just 1 cup of red wine per 2 lbs of meat. Excuse me?! I used a full bottle of rather decent wine, plus some stock, for four pounds of browned shoulder, then strained the liquid and reduced it by half with finally a splash of fresh wine. At the end of dinner, people were using their fingers to get the dregs of cold sauce from the gravy boat, so I suppose they were thirsty.

I had to fly back to Portland for a work meeting this morning, and now I am in the airport headed back down to California for few more days of sun and friends. And I am packing, man. Packing what? Well, after the meeting I went home and grabbed some things that are hard to find or impractical/expensive to buy at the lake. I mixed up marinade and sauces for ginger-garlic stir-fry chicken, for hot and sour soup, for Korean BBQ ribs, and a sweet miso-based sauce for grilled fish. Zip-lock bags of bonito flakes, dried kelp, wasabi powder, toasted nuts, dried shiitakes. Two good knives - SWMBO has been cutting herself with the unspeakably dull knives at the cabin, those nasty ripped cuts you get with dull serrated junk blades. Big and little paellas.

I hope my sauces survive the trip in checked luggage. My big paella is riding in the overhead bin. My one regret is that I couldn't fit Ice Cream Boy in the backpack.

Here's the cool thing about doing a lot of cooking with friends. You don't gain weight. I went back on my diet kick this month, and during this beach cabin foodie-fest, I've actually managed to lose a couple of pounds. That's the secret I've learned during my waistline struggles of the past year. Cook more to weigh less. Weird but true.

Comments (4)