Photos from Michigan to meet cooking forum member

Lars

Let's see how many I can post here. I've run into some snags with my bathroom remodels and have to go back to Cathedral City today, and so I won't be able to add more photos until Sunday, at the earliest.

Pond at Annie's house

Boardman River, Traverse City

Traverse store in Traverse City

Accidental selfie at TeeSeeTee. I get the TC stands for Traverse City, but I do not know what the last "T" stands for, and the store was not open at the time.

Hesler Log House, built 1856, on the peninsula north of Traverse City

Lighthouse at the end of the peninsula in Grand Traverse Bay

Sailboat on Grand Traverse Bay

Kevin on the beach in front of the lighthouse

SaveComment22Like10
Comments (22)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
2 Likes Save    
2ManyDiversions

Thank you for posting Lars - I've thoroughly enjoyed reading Annie's thread on her GW visitors and your comments as well as NatureGirl's.

Ha! T-shirts by appointment only?! : ) Must be some pretty special T's! Some beautiful photos Lars - I love Annie's pond, and Hesler Log House is very interesting. It reminds me of our Cade's Cove area, which also has many log cabins built in the early 1800's. The sailboat photo is really nice - that looks like some choppy water that day.

I'm so glad you and Kevin had such a wonderful trip.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Lars
Lars

I thought "Tee" might have meant golf tee. I certainly had never heard of T-shirts by appointment, unless they are made to order from the client's designs. Golf shops might be open by appointment, however.

Save    
Jasdip

Hah, I was thinking it was phonetic. So TeeSeeTee, might be T Citeee. If you know what I'm trying to say.

Save     Thanked by Lars
Islay Corbel

Lovely to see pics!

Save     Thanked by Lars
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Nice to see pics. Gorgeous weather. A coat! on the beach? Our heat wave just broke a bit this morning....might even need a bonfire this weekend and a fleece in the evening hours.

Save     Thanked by Lars
bcskye

Thank you for posting those beautiful pictures. Now Annie's pond is what I wish was on my place, but we never got around to putting one in and there wasn't a natural one.

Madonna

Save     Thanked by Lars
AnnT

Love reading about your visit with Annie. And the pictures.

Lars

Ann, we especially liked Sault Ste. Marie but did not go to the Canadian side, as I mentioned earlier, because Kevin neglected to take his passport with him.

Here are some photos of Mackinac Island:

view from ferry from St. Ignace.

View of Grand Hotel from ferry

first carriage ride, with only two horses

second carriage/tram, with three horses

arched rock, seen at stop on second carriage ride

view from walk back to town

bridge between the peninsulas

Hut built by missionaries

It was quite warm on Mackinac Island, about 85°, I think, and I should have worn shorts but I was afraid of getting cold on the ferry ride - I didn't!

There are no cars (except emergency vehicles) on the island, and horse-drawn carts are used to transport everything. There are bicycles, however.

2 Likes Save    
Andie

I remember visiting Mackinac Island as a kid in the early 60s. We stayed in little cabins. They're probably long gone

Save     Thanked by Lars
annie1992

Beautiful pictures, Lars, especially that one of Arched Rock.

Andie, did you know that Mackinac means "Turtle" in Anishnabe? Actually it's Michilimackinac, with the Michi meaning "Great", so it's actually the "Great Turtle".

Madonna, I'm not a big fan of the pond, but our geothermal heating and cooling runs on a closed loop through the pond and I do like that. It's a lot of work and more upkeep than the inground pool was in White Cloud. (sigh) And now it looks different than that picture. The big willow tree on the far left split and fell (of course) into the pond. We had to hire some tree guys to come and fish it out with a big crane and they had to take another one down to get to the willow. Two got poison ivy, one sprained his ankle and one dropped his saw into the pond.

Lars, I'm still so happy you got to come to Michigan, although I felt that you might be a bit bored, coming here from California!

Annie

Save    
Compumom11

Thankfully Houzz will finally let me comment on a post. Who knows what mysteries this site holds...

Anyway, I loved seeing all the pictures of your visit and reading the descriptions from you and Annie. She's so special and Elery is wonderful too. So glad you enjoyed your trip to Michigan. My trip to Canny Camp many years back introduced me to Annie and a small slice of Michigan. I really enjoyed it and would love to explore further!

Save    
Lars

Interesting story about the pond and the willow tree... At least we did not get poison ivy!

We were never bored, and we seemed to have endless things to talk about. My concern was that we would overstay our welcome, since we were there for so long, but you made me feel extremely welcome with your hospitality, which I appreciate very much.

Here are some photos from Sault Ste. Marie:

Chippewa County Historical Society

Sasquatch, saw several of these

Nokomis, locks boat tour

Bridge to Canada

Building in the middle of the locks - I forgot the name of this one

Sailing times, posted at the Locks Building. We had to go through security to get into this building, but it was free.

Bridge back to L.P.

I took a lot of bridge pictures.

Save    
Solsthumper

Lars, you've always taken the primrose path in life. Love the panoramic views of Mackinac island, et al! ♥

Btw, I have yet to see Sasquatch around these parts, unless you count 'Larry,' my next door neighbor.

Keep'em coming!

Sol

Lars

Annie took this photo of me in front of the Del Shannon mural in Coopersville

Inside the Coopersville museum

Coopersville Central Park

Last train to Coopersville.

I especially enjoyed going with Annie to Coopersville to see the Del Shannon exhibit at the museum there. I was president of the International Del Shannon Fan Club for about three years, when I was 15 to 18 years old. Del Shannon called me himself and asked me to run the fan club for him. I had more members in England than anywhere else, and eventually, I merged the two clubs so that the headquarters would be in London.

1 Like Save    
annie1992

"Last Train to Coopersville"? Wrong song, my friend, that would be Clarksville, which is about an hour and a half from Coopersville, LOL. Yes, really.

I wish I had gotten a picture of you closer, but I didn't want to cut off any of that mural. Maybe you'll make it back here some day, for the Del Shannon Car Show or something...

Annie

annie1992

I'm glad you posted that sign too, it's good to know we're only two weeks away from Casablanca by boat!

Annie

Lars

I had no idea that Clarksville was anywhere near Coopersville! I thought it was in Tennessee.

Save    
sushipup1

About the Clarksville of the song:

It has often been presumed that the song refers to Clarksville, Tennessee, which is near Fort Campbell, Kentucky, the home of the 101st Airborne Division,
which was then serving in Vietnam. However, according to songwriter
Bobby Hart, that was not the case. Instead, according to Hart, "We were
just looking for a name that sounded good. There's a little town in
northern Arizona I used to go through in the summer on the way to Oak Creek Canyon called Clarkdale.
We were throwing out names, and when we got to Clarkdale, we thought
Clarksville sounded even better. We didn't know it at the time, [but]
there is an Army base near the town of Clarksville, Tennessee — which
would have fit the bill fine for the storyline. We couldn't be too
direct with The Monkees. We couldn't really make a protest song out of
it — we kind of snuck it in."

Although "Clarksville," a common U.S. place name, is in the song
title, the video accompanying the song on the Monkees' TV show showed a
sign pointing to "Clarkesville", which is a much more rare spelling, now
used only for a town in Georgia.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Train_to_Clarksville

Talk about off topic and meandering!

Lars

This thread was never really on topic! But since I consider meeting with a cooking forum member to be relevant, I decided to start it up anyway.

Interesting about Clarksville... I never really knew, but I was a fan of Boyce & Hart back in the day.

Save    
annie1992

yeah, I didn't think the Monkees actually knew about Clarksville, Michigan, but that always runs through my head when I see the Clarksville sign, LOL.

Off topic is usually the most fun anyway...

Annie

Save     Thanked by Lars
l pinkmountain

My room mate in college was from Claksville MI. Talk about six degrees of separation!! ;)

Save     Thanked by Lars
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Appliances A Cook’s 6 Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances
An avid home chef answers tricky questions about choosing the right oven, stovetop, vent hood and more
Full Story
Special Report: Interior Design News From Cologne
Take a Photo Tour of the Latest Furniture Innovations Headed Our Way
Full Story
Kitchen Design Love to Cook? We Want to See Your Kitchen
Houzz Call: Show us a photo of your great home kitchen and tell us how you’ve made it work for you
Full Story