SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

CF forum friends meet in Michigan! (pictures)

annie1992
14 years ago

Yes, another get-together in Michigan and we had so much fun, can't let Sharon and Clive have ALL the fun!

Sherry and Roger, Elery and I, and Cathy and Peppi all met at Penzey's this morning. Cathy's husband couldn't make it, but he was there in spirit, LOL. We missed Peppi's Dad too.

We all spent some money at Penzey's and I forgot to take pictures, but we bought some paprika and some garlic powder and chili powder so Elery can try out his new smoker this weekend.

From there we went downtown to this place:

It's a great little gourmet food and wine shop with cooking and serving pieces, a lot of stuff in a small shop! Elery got pickled asparagus with jalapenos and I bought a small bottle of American made vodka for pie crust:

Look, LindaC, they even had Maytag Blue, $14.99 a pound....

Peppi particularly liked the message on their wine board:

From there we went downtown to a tapas bistro, guess what it was called, LOL:

That's Roger and Sherry in back and then, left to right, Peppi, Cathy, me and Elery.

We started with a pitcher of Sangria, I liked it a lot. So much that I forgot to take a picture until it was mostly gone, LOL, but here's my glass:

We all ordered and I took pictures of some of the plates, but some I just forgot, like the Atun del Limon, ahi tuna served raw lightly cured with fresh basil, lemon juice, watercress and kalamata infused oil and Atun en Escabeche, herbed seared Ahi tuna, served rare with carrot & leek ribbons, spicy mango purée and salsa verde. I really liked the Atun del Limon, and the carrots that came with the Escabeche.

We had Berenjena Asada, a roasted eggplant, pequillo peppers, and fresh goat cheese drizzled with organic honey, and Seta Rellena, portabella mushroom layered with spinach, manchego cheese, green onion, roasted red pepper and tomato vinaigrette topped with Serrano ham. We had some Esparragos en Salsa Romesco, fresh roasted asparagus with a romesco sauce of sweet red pepper, almonds and garlic, topped with Marcona almonds and lemon, and fresh bread with olive oil for dipping.

I got a picture of my favorite the Cangrejo de Río, wild-caught crawfish sautéed in anisette mustard cream with roasted red pepper, served with a chorizo potato cake:

And the Fritos de Azul, blue cheese fritters with red pepper aioli, which was a favorite of the other diners:

My other favorite was the Verduras y Tortas, spicy black bean-garbanzo cakes with roasted winter vegetables and cucumber yogurt sauce:

We had Empanadas with five-onion-garlic potato mash, lioli and salsa, again, no picture, and Seta Rellena, which is

portabella mushroom, spinach, manchego,roasted red pepper, tomato vinaigrette and Serrano ham along with Gambas al Ajillo, sautéed shrimp, olive oil, garlic, and pepper flakes. Another of my favorites was the tomato bread with Serrano and Boquerones (anchovies) This is my plate with the portobello, the bread and anchovies and the shrimp

And the bread with anchovies before we cut them up, LOL:

Peppi and Cathy both liked the Bistec con Pimienta, peppered beef flank steak grilled medium, served over

tortellini with manchego cream:

Peppi liked the sauce so well she licked the spoon:

Cathy is far more efficient and just licked the pan:

Actually, we just wanted a picture of the cute little cast iron pans they served some of the tapas in!

I brought some homemade bread for Sherry to take home as my contribution to dinner, since I left while they went on for more fun and supper, I figured a loaf of romano cheese bread with herbs and garlic could be used for SOMETHING, and I brought copies of the 100th Anniversary Ball Blue Book as reminders of the fun we had at Canning Camp. I'd picked up dessert at "Art of the Table":

Yup, it's chocolate covered bacon!!!

We had so much fun, we always do when we get together. And we are all absolutely going to meet Raymond next time, if we have to go to Florida to do it. Be forewarned, Raymond. LOL

Annie

Comments (22)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH