SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Michigan Meeting today!

annie1992
12 years ago

Yes, several of us managed to get together for lunch and of course we talked about all of you. (grin)

Ann 9spacific) was in Michigan visiting family, so Karen (lakemayor), Sherry (sheshebop), Ilana (loves2cook4six) and I all decided to meet her for lunch.

Since Sherry is way down in the southern part of the state and Ann was way up in the northern part of the state and Ilana was coming from Chicago (!!) we met in the middle, in Kalamazoo. All of us brought our spouses except Sherry. Poor Roger pulled child care duty and missed lunch. We thought about him though, really we did. Ilana also brought her youngest son and Ann's son was with them, of course.

We met at a Greek restaurant called Theo and Stacy's. The boys quickly got to know each other and busied themselves making green monster claws for their fingers from the wrappers on the silverware. Creative guys, that's for sure. and yes, before anyone notices, I'll confess that I've taken my usual blurry pictures. Bear with me.

I didn't take a lot of pictures of the people and you've seen us all anyway, but I got picture of the saganaki. Well, I wasn't fast enough to catch the picture while it was still flaming, I only quickly grabbed the camera when the waiter exclaimed "opa"! Here it is after the flames were extinquished but before complete consumption:

Most of our meals came with a greek salad, I gave Elery my olives, and they had a nice sprinkling of salty feta:

Several of the diners had the gyro, either original or chicken, served on a pita with tzatziki sauce:

I had the souvlaki, cooked rare and served with fries. The sandwich was so substantial that Elery had to eat my fries:

No one had room for dessert, and we sat and talked for nearly 3 hours. We did exchange some gifts. I brought molasses cookies, travel mugs for coffee and jars of salsa, since it is the only thing I'm really "famous" for. We all got embroidered linen towels from Ilana and her homemade vanilla, with the beans still in the bottle, and it's been steeped 6 months already. Elery can't wait to try the stuff and it smells so good I suggested maybe we could just make vanilla martinis from it!

Ann brought flavored salts from Trader Joe's, mine was smoked. She has promised to ship lemons from her tree:

Karen brought homegrown garlic from her garden and some walnut cinnamon roll jam, which I'm going to have to figure out and recreate:

The guys got tired of gossiping....um.....solving the problems of the world, and went to the Air Zoo. We stayed and talked. And talked. And talked. It was a wonderful afternoon with good friends that I don't get to see and talk to enough, but poor Cooper was home alone and so I had to finally leave and come home.

I hope everyone travelled safely and made it home without incident, and I think we really need to do this more often!

Annie

Comments (15)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES