SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Best Cooking Week Of The Year

John Liu
12 years ago

The best eating week of the year is about to start!

Every summer we spend a week on the shore of Lake Tahoe, CA with some long-time friends. We talk, kayak, drink, play boules, knit (some of us), smoke cigars (some of us), hike, do fixit chores on their cabin, mind or don't mind the kids. And cook, and drink, and eat.

N____ is a French geneticist, and makes old-school French dishes from her treasured little pocket notebook, in which she's spent decades accumulating recipes from her mother and aunts in that loopy French cursive. Last year I begged her to let me photocopy it. Non. I forgive her, for her perfect tartes, worthy of any Parisian vitrine. T____ is a home-schooling Northern California earth-mother who always introduces me to humble, subtle foods that I've overlooked, or mentally classified with granola and brown rice. My polenta kick a while ago was thanks to her. W_____'s specialty is perfectly grilled meat. He always brings a cooler of beef. He brings the cigars, too. A_____, our hostess and resident piano teacher and outdoorswoman, is always anxious on her night to cook, and her meals turn out wonderfully. She made the best brisket I've ever had. N_____ (#2) is half East Coast blue blood, half French free-spirit, and cooks sort of like Alice Waters would, if Alice Waters were very mellow and a little bit stoned. She's nearly a dead ringer for Katharine Ross, too. With ten adults and nine kids, there's constantly cooking, serving, and cleaning to be done. I'm never so domestic as on this week, and I like it. Even doing the dishes.

Some years I've gone down with photocopied recipes and special ingredients, one year I hauled down two woks and jars of made-ahead sauces. This year feels more impromptu. We'll go to the farmers' market, see what's good, and just wing it. I'm not going to stick to my diet, but will lean more light and ''California'', and less ''big production''. Well, I may grab some spices from the kitchen so I can try a couple Indian dishes. And I have been thinking about bringing a pressure cooker . . .

So, if I'm wholly absent for a while, or conversely if I start posting desperate pleas for help, or pop up in WFD again - that's why. I'm quite excited.

Do you have a ''best cooking week'' each year? A recurring family reunion, holidays that never stop, foodie friends who get together each year?

Comments (14)