SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weed30

My Birthday Dinner

weed30 St. Louis
14 years ago

I had to post about the fabulous bday dinner I had with my sisters. We went to a Mexican restaurant, actually billed as Mexican-Caribbean. Keep in mind I am VERY picky about Mexican food. Most of the places I go to are extremely average Americanized Mexican, which sucks. This place is located at the base of an old office building. Quite small, with an outdoor dining area that is actually in the parking lot :)

Anyway, the food was excellent! Here is their website. For appetizers, we had the tomatillo cilantro salsa verde and the tres queso with chorizo. The salsa was outstanding, and the tres queso was very good, although the chorizo was not the crumbled kind, my only complaint. It was cut up chorizo sausage.

Our entrees:

Chiles rellenos - "fire roasted pablano peppers stuffed with cilantro rice, vegetables, and your choice of chicken or tofu, topped with homemade mole and queso." OMG - really, really outstanding. The mole sauce was simply fabulous.

Jumbo shrimp - "chipotle marinated shrimp paired with mango salsa and asparagus, served atop cilantro rice", OK, I hate when a menu has anything served "atop" something else...not the presentation, just the word "atop" grates on my nerves and should be banned from the English language ;) But it was just delicious - the shrimp were huge and cooked perfectly. The Mango salsa also had a bit of kiwi in it, and tempered the heat of the chipotle on the shrimp.

Tamales con romesco - "homemade braised carnitas tamales served under a sweet charred pepper mole" That is a typo on the menu, it was a sweet charred pepper romesco, not mole. Another hit. There was one left over, and I had it for breakfast the next day.

I can't wait to go back to try more of their dishes!

I didn't have my camera, so took some pics with my sister's phone, but she can't figure out how to send them to me :)

Comments (4)