SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

Cookalong - #33- Cinnamon

ann_t
11 years ago

Cookalong #33 ----------Cinnamon!
clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings
Posted by wizardnm (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 10, 10 at 23:54

Ready for another Cookalong?

Joanm looked in her pantry to come up with this next focus ingredient and it's something that everybody uses....

Cinnamon!!!!!!!!!

Without even looking it up, I'm sure it's the most popular, well used spice in the world. I can't wait to see your favorite T+T recipes.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #32 ---------- PEACHES!
Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cookalong #33 ----------Cinnamon!

Posted by lindac (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 11, 10 at 0:04

Cinnamon and ground red pepper...mixed half and half makes an awesome rub for a grilled pork loin!
And we have cinnamon rolls apple dumplings any kind of crisp...apple peach, rhubarb blue berry is nothing without cinnamon.
And a lovely Greek tomato sauce with as trong whiff of cinnamon.
I need to make a Penzey's run!
Linda C

o

Posted by claire_de_luna (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 11, 10 at 14:29

This is my ''go to recipe'' when I need something quick!
Forgive me for not posting something new, but this is an old favorite.

One Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes
With Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting

Makes 2 dozen

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup warm water
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with liners; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla; mix batter until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to assure batter is well mixed.

Divide the batter evenly among liners (use an ice cream scoop), filling each about one-third full. Bake until tops spring back when touched, about 20 minutes, rotating pan once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.

Cinnamon Buttercream
1 cup butter
1 T. vanilla
1 T. ground cinnamon (Penzey’s Vietnamese Cinnamon)
1 lb. powdered sugar
3 T. Half and Half or cream

o

Posted by terri_pacnw (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 11, 10 at 14:39

My favorite thing to do with cinnamon..

"ornaments"

Drain a cup of applesauce well overnight in a coffee filter lined wire strainer. Mix enough cinnamon in to make a moist but firm dough.

Roll out to between an 1/8"-1/4" and cut out with cookie cutters or form into small "buttons" with your hands. Let dry in a low oven, dehydrator or tight weaved cooling rack until dry..

I like to use them as "package" decorations as well as garlands on the Christmas tree..or even in a glass vase, with christmas lights...(the warmth scents the room)...

I'll be back with a few "edible" recipes. LOL

o

Wed, Aug 11, 10 at 15:22

Some favorites...

Cinnamon Swirl Quick Bread

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 tsp. ground cinnamon

Glaze:
1/4 cup confectioner' s sugar
1 1/2 to 2 tsp. milk

Combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking soda and salt. Combine buttermilk, egg and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and remaining sugar.
Grease the bottom only of a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. Pour half of the batter into pan. Sprinkle with half of the cinnamon sugar. Carefully spread with remaining batter and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar; cut through batter with a knife to swirl.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely. Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over loaf.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apple Harvest Breakfast Bake

3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
3/4 cup warm apple juice
2 tablespoons oil or applesauce
2 large egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 tablespoon margarine , melted
1 cup packed brown sugar , divided
1 large granny smith apples , peeled and thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 c.)
1 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350°F
Combine oats, apple juice, and oil or applesauce in a small bowl; let stand for 10 minutes.Stir in egg whites and vanilla.
Pour margarine in the bottom of a 9" round cake pan coated with cooking spray.Sprinkle 1/4 cup brown sugar.Arrange apple slices spoke-like on top of brown sugar, working from center of pan to edge.
Combine 3/4 cup brown sugar, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg in a large bowl; stir with a whisk.Add oat mixture and stir just until moistened.Pour into prepared pan.
Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.Cool in pan 10 minutes Place a plate upside down on top of cake; invert onto plate.Cut into wedges.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apple Cinnamon Crepes

Serves: 6 to 8 (generously) / Preparation time: 45 minutes Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes Don't let the long list of ingredients discourage you. All the ingredients can be prepared a day ahead and combined the day you serve. These make generous portions, enough to share.

CREPES

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Pinch of salt

3 large eggs

1/2 cup sugar

1 1/2 to 2 cups milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 tablespoons clarified butter

CREAM FILLING

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened

1 cup confectioners' sugar

SAUCE TOPPING

1 1/2 cups light brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon flour

1 cup water

1 tablespoon butter

1 teaspoon maple flavoring

APPLE FILLING

4 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, shredded

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 tablespoon sugar

GARNISH

Whipped cream

Maraschino cherries

Confectioners' sugar

Whisk together the flour and salt in a medium bowl.

In a separate large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar.

Whisk in 1 1/2 cups of the milk, the vanilla and the flour until combined. If the mixture is too thick, add the remaining milk. Cover and refrigerate batter for 30 minutes.

Heat a crepe pan or an 8-inch skillet over medium heat for about 1 minute. Cover the surface of the pan with 1 tablespoon of clarified butter and heat until it sizzles.

Ladle about 1/2 cup of the batter into the middle of the pan and immediately start swirling the pan to move the batter over the surface. Cook for 45 seconds or until the crepe is lightly golden brown.

Flip the crepe over and cook the other side for 20 seconds.

Remove the crepe to a plate and repeat with the remaining batter, adding more clarified butter to the skillet as needed.

Place wax paper between the crepe layers. The crepes can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Makes 6 to 8 crepes depending on how thick you like them.

To make the cream filling, in a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese until it's smooth. Add the confectioners' sugar and beat until it's incorporated. Set the cheese aside.

For the sauce topping, in a saucepan, combine the brown sugar, flour and water. Cook over medium heat until the mix becomes slightly thick. Remove it from the heat and whisk in the butter and maple flavoring. Set the sauce aside.

To make the apple filling, place the shredded apples, cinnamon and sugar in a covered microwave dish. Heat on high for 1 minute. Remove and stir.

Microwave on high for another 1 minute, then remove and stir them. Continue until the apples are heated through.

To serve: Place a warm crepe on a serving plate. Place 2 heaping spoonfuls of the cream filling in the center of the crepe. Spread it the length of the crepe.

Add about 1/2 cup of the heated apple filling. Fold both sides of crepe toward the center of filling. Top with 2 spoonfuls of the heated sauce. Top with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.

From Frances Gurk, Garden City. Tested by Susan Selasky for the Free Press Test Kitchen. Analysis based on generous servings. 730 calories (31% from fat), 25 grams fat (15 grams sat. fat), 117 grams carbohydrates, 12 grams protein, 300 mg sodium, 174 mg cholesterol, 191 mg calcium, 3 grams fiber.

Copyright © 2006 Detroit Free Press Inc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nancy

o

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 11, 10 at 15:33

I definitely need to make those ornaments. I will be searching the dollar store for cheap-o cinnamon though, I am not using my Vietnamese stuff for that! LOL!

And Nancy - I am so making that Breakfast bake for tomorrow AM! That is one of the few benefits of being an insomniac, I can bake at 4 AM and not heat up the house LOLOLOL! IT sounds fantastic!

Here are a couple of favorites at our house:

Spice Rubbed Lamb Chops (Morocco)
From Food Network Kitchens

2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning
1 teaspoon freshly ground cloves
1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 loin lamb chops

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Mix the 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon together. Brush each lamb chop lightly with the olive oil and season with the spice mixture. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chops in the skillet, without crowding until brown and crisp on both sides, about 3 or 4 minutes for both sides. Finish chops in the oven for 1 minute for medium rare, or to desired doneness.

Greek Meatballs

1 egg, beaten
½ cup soft breadcrumbs
2 tbsp raisins, snipped
2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground cinnamon (or more to taste)
1 lb ground lamb
EVO

In a large bowl combine egg, bread crumbs, raisins, pine nuts, garlic, salt and cinnamon. Add lamb, mix well. Moisten hands with water and shape lamb mixture into 32 meatballs.

Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly brush a 15 x 10 pan with oil. Place meatballs ½ inch apart on pan. Brush lightly with EVO.

Bake about 20 minutes or until cooked through (160F). Drizzle with additional EVO if desired and serve immediately.

Yogurt Feta Sauce
4 oz. Crumbed feta cheese
¾ c. plain yogurt (Preferably Greek)
2 T. milk
1 clove minced garlic
1/3 c. seeded cucumber, chopped or shredded
1 t. fresh dill (optional)

Place cheese, yogurt, milk and garlic for sauce into food processor using steel blade and process until smooth. Put it in abowl and gently mix in the cukes.

o

Posted by doucanoe (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 12, 10 at 9:14

I am kinda picky about what I like cinnmon in. Don't care for it much in savory dishes, or with chocolate, but I do like it in breads and rolls and things with apple or pumpkin.

Here is a Lebanese dish from my son-in-law that my daughter raves about. I am going to try it, and hopefully it will change my mind on the savory issue!

Stuffed Zucchinis
5 med. zucchinis with centers cored out
Stuffing:
1/2 cup short grain rice that has soaked in water for a half hour
1/2 - 1 lb cooked ground beef (depending on your affinity for meat)
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1tsp. salt
-------
8 oz. tomato sauce (or crushed tomatoes)
3 cups water
6 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp. dried mint
2 cloves crushed garlic
Drain rice and mix with the rest of the stuffing ingredients. Fill each zucchini 3/4 full and place standing up in a stock pot.
In a separate bowl, mix the remaining ingredients and pour over zucchinis. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook for an hour or until rice is tender.
Eggplant may be substituted for zucchini and if you don' t want the hassle of coring the vegetables, just cut in slices and cook in sauce and serve over rice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And here is a T&T dessert recipe. I have subbed cream for the evaporated milk with no problem.

Apple Walnut Cobbler
Source BH&G January 1997

5 c tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
3/4 c chopped walnuts
3/4 c sugar, divided
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c evaporated milk
1/3 c butter or margarine, melted
Half & Half or light cream (Optional)

Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly grease an 8x8 square baking dish. Spread the apples in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 c walnuts, 1/4 c sugar and the cinnamon. In medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour, 1/2 c sugar and baking powder.

In small bowl, combine the egg, milk and melted butter. Stir egg mixture into the dry ingredients until smooth. Pour evenly over the apples, sprinkle with remaining walnuts.

Bake 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm, cut into squares. If desired, serve with half & half or cream.
9 servings

Linda

o

Posted by tracey_oh (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 12, 10 at 10:57

I'd say these are more of a cross between a scone and a biscuit than a regular biscuit. Found this recipe when I was looking for a way to use up some extra plain yogurt I had.
Cinnamon Biscuits Bon Appetit

Yield: Makes about 12 biscuits

2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups cake flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 large eggs
1 cup chilled plain yogurt

Blend 2/3 cup sugar, flour, cake flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and baking soda in large bowl. Add butter, rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Beat eggs in medium bowl. Transfer 1 tablespoon beaten eggs to small bowl; reserve for glaze. Whisk yogurt into remaining eggs in medium bowl. Stir yogurt mixture into dry ingredients. Gather dough into ball.

Gently knead dough on lightly floured surface until dough just holds together, about 6 turns. Roll or pat dough into 1-inch-thick round. Using 2 1/2- to 3-inch-diameter heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out biscuits. Gather dough scraps, reroll to 1-inch thickness and cut out additional biscuits. Place biscuits on ungreased baking sheet. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover biscuits and reserved egg glaze separately and refrigerate.)

Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush biscuits with reserved egg glaze. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake biscuits until puffed and light golden, about 18 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

o

Posted by ruthanna (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 12, 10 at 16:30

I probably use cinnamon as often in savory dishes as in sweet ones but never in overpowering quantities. I make this often in summer, when green beans and tomatoes are ready in the gardens.

BEEF AND GREEN BEAN STEW " 4 servings

1 lb. lean beef
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled, diced
1 cup tomato juice
2 Tbs. lime juice
1/4 tsp. curry powder
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
salt and pepper to taste
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound fresh green beans, tipped and cut

Cut the beef into 1 1/2 inch cubes. Brown the meat cubes in the oil in a Dutch oven. Stir in remaining ingredients except green beans. Lower heat to simmering. Cover tightly and simmer over low heat until beef is tender â" about one hour. Stir in green beans. Cover and cook five minutes. Uncover and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until green beans are tender-crisp and liquid is reduced to a thick sauce.

Good served with cooked orzo or small boiled potatoes.

o

Posted by mustangs (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 12, 10 at 16:55

Cognac Fruit Dip

This makes a lot; I half the recipe below and itâs plenty for the family Christmas brunch.

12 ounces cream cheese
1 cup confectioners sugar, unsifted
7 ounces marshmallow creme
1 cup sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons almond extract
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons cognac
whole fresh strawberries for dipping

In small bowl of electric mixer, cream the cheese until soft and smooth. Add the confectioners sugar and beat until well-blended. Add the sour cream and the rest of the ingredients. Blend just until well-combined. Cover and chill several hours before serving.

o

Posted by lowspark (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 13, 10 at 10:01

I'm hoping for recipes for Cinnamon Ice Cream and Cinnamon Babka.

Here's my ultra lame-o contribution to this thread. My kids LOVED this for dessert when they were little. Haven't made it in a long time.

Spread a tortilla with butter. Sprinkle generously with sugar and cinnamon. Broil till bubbly (maybe 2-3 minutes). Eat.

o

Posted by joanm (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 13, 10 at 10:39

I am hoping for a cinnamon ice cream recipe too. I had it at a restaurant once and it wowed me. I tried mixing some cinnamon into store bought vanilla once with mixed results. Now that I have an ice cream maker I should try it again.

Here is a recipe that I saw Cat Cora make once. It looked really good and she said she makes it for her family. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe I can give it a shot during the cook along.

Cinnamon stewed Chicken
Cat Cora

Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Makes 6 servings

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (2 1/2- to 3-pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 coarsely chopped yellow onions
5 garlic cloves, minced and divided
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup water
1 cup chicken broth
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1/2 cup ricotta salata cheese, grated

Instructions:
1. Mix cinnamon, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Pat chicken dry with paper towels, and rub with cinnamon seasoning.

2. Heat olive oil in a deep skillet over high heat. (Donât overcrowd chicken, or it will steam rather than brown.) Brown chicken in oil for about 4â"5 minutes on each side. Turn frequently with a spatula. Remove chicken when nicely browned on all sides; set aside.

3. Lower heat to medium-high. Add onions and 3 minced garlic cloves and cook, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes or until onions are soft and golden brown. Add wine to pan, scraping up any browned bits with a spatula.

4. When wine has evaporated, add water, broth, tomato paste, oregano, and remaining 2 garlic cloves. Return chicken to pan. (Liquid should cover the chicken about three-fourths of the way.) Cover and simmer over low heat about 1 hour or until chicken is tender and cooked through. Add salt and pepper to taste.

5. Serve chicken topped with sauce and sprinkled with cheese. Remove skin before eating. (Serving size: about 1 piece of chicken with sauce)

Nutrition:
Calories 336; Fat 15g (sat 4g, mono 6g, poly 2g); Choles¬terol 98mg; Protein 35g; Carbohydrate 11g; Sugars 5g; Fiber 2g; Iron 3mg; Sodium 796mg; Calcium 94mg

o

Posted by claire_de_luna (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 13, 10 at 13:50

You know, I may be in the minority, but I've tried Cinnamon Ice Cream twice now, and didn't care for it much. It was gritty, and didn't have a great texture. If someone knows how to make it without being gritty, I'd love to know the secret.

o

Posted by lpinkmountain (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 13, 10 at 14:29

I love cinnamon in savory dishes. Here are 3 I like. I'll most likely be making a version of one of them this weekend, as I have lots of veggies to use up. As for sweet, this time of year I'm most likely to use cinnamon ina fruit pie or cobbler. But those things aren't good for my figure so I don't make them unless I know I'll have enough company to help me eat them up before they mold. I might make something this weekend since I am going visiting, and if so I'll report back with the recipe.

Influenced Vegetable Stew
(From "Enchanted Broccoli Forest" by Molly Katzen)

3/4 cups raw kidney beans, cooked as per your favorite method, or one can of dark red kidneys
3 TBLSP olive oil
4 med. cloves crushed garlic
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup thinly sliced potatoes
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cumin
lots of fresh black pepper
crushed red hot pepper to taste
juice from 1 large lemon
2 large carrots, sliced
1 small cauliflower, broken into small flowerettes
4 med. sided fresh, ripe tomatoes, cubed (I tend to use a can of diced tomatoes here)
2 tsp. honey

In a very large skillet, saute the onions and garlic in olive oil, with salt, for 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft and transluscent.

Add potatoes, spices and lemon juice. Coer and cook 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Note: I parboil potatoes, or I add some of the tomato liquid, because otherwise in my experience, starchy potatoes stick to the pan unless you use more olive oil which I don't like to do).

Add remaining ingredients except for the beans. Cover, and let stew over med. heat about 30 min, stirring occasionally.

Add the cooked beans, stir, cover and let it simmer about 10 more minutes.

Serve with tsatsiki (cuke salad with yogurt or sour cream), greek olives and crusty bread.

Picadillo
(from the "Three Guys from Miami Cook Cuban" Web site)

Olive oil for frying
1 large onion, diced
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 lbs. ground beef or ground round (I sub one lb. fake meat crumbles. You can also use marinated tofu, carribean or smoked style)
3 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (again, I'll use canned diced ones unless I have a plethora of fresh ones)
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 cup chopped green olives or 1/4 cup capers (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion, green pepper, and garlic in large frying pan. Fry about 5 min., until they are softened, then add the ground beef. Mash the veg. ingredients into the frying meat.

Add the tomatoes, cumin, cinnamon, cloves and oregano and cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes.

Add olives and raisins and simmer 5 min. longer. Adjust seasonings to taste.

Serve over rice or polenta.
Optional: instead of serving over rice, you can add potatoes into the mix, 3 cups peeled and diced. Fry with meat and then simmer in tomato sauce. Parboil potatoes if you wish. Add a dash of dry red wine to the final stew.

This one is a big hit with kids, like sloppy joes over spaghetti. Not traditional Cinci chili but better, IMHO. More subtle.

Cincinnati Style Chili
(Recipe courtesy "Gourmet" magazine)

2 TBLSP veg. oil
2 med. onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 lbs. ground beef chuck (I use 1 lb. fake meat crumbles and a can of dark red kidney beans)
4 TBLSP commercial chili powder
1 TBLSP sweet paprika
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground coriander
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 TBLSP red wine vinegar
1 TBLSP molasses
1 cup tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups water or bouillon (I don't add it all at once and only add as needed to get the desired chili thickness)

Spaghetti cooked and drained, kidney beans (If not adding them instead of meat), grated cheddar, chopped white onion and oyster crackers as traditional accomaniments for "Five Ways" chili. I omit the crackers and onions, but heap on the cheddar.

In a large heavy pot, heat the oil over med. heat and cook the onions and garlic until softened. Add the ground beef (or veggie equivalent of fake meat and kidney beans), stirring unil the beef is no longer pink. Drain off any excess fat and discard. Add the spices, stirring to combine and cook 1 min. Add the bay leaf, red wine vinegar, molasses, tomato sauce and water/bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer chili covered for about 1 1/2 hours, adding additional water if necessary, to achieve a thick and soupy consistency. Discard bay leaf and adjust salt and pepper.

Serve the chili over cooked spahgetti with the traditional accompaniments.

o

Posted by hawk307 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 13, 10 at 15:55

One of my favorites, Cinnamon Bunns, East Coast Style,
( not Cinnamon Rolls ).

If anyone would like the Recipe, I'll post it.
Thanks Lou

o

Posted by nightnurse1968 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 13, 10 at 22:53

This is a great recipe that I make during the holidays but they would be good any time. I never drizzle the icing but I'm sure they are great like that.

CINNAMON BUN COOKIES
from

VANILLA COOKIE DOUGH
½ cup (2 ounces) powdered sugar
¾ cup (1½ sticks, 6 ounces) unsalted butter
½ tsp salt
1½ tsp vanilla extract
1½ cups (6¼ ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour

MIDDLE:
1 large egg white
1 Tbs water
¼ cup granulated sugar
1½ tsp ground cinnamon

ICING:
½ cup powdered sugar
2 Tbs heavy whipping cream
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp ground cinnamon

1. Prepare dough: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the sugar, butter, salt and vanilla. Add the flour, stirring to make a cohesive dough. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until youâre ready to use it.

2. Roll the dough: Transfer chilled dough to a lightly floured piece of parchment or waxed paper. Roll it into a 9Ã12-inch rectangle. In a small bowl, whisk together egg white and water until foamy. Brush onto rolled out dough. In another small bowl, whisk together sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle it evenly over the dough. Starting with a long edge, carefully roll the dough into a log, sealing the edge (if dough sticks to parchment, gently use a metal spatula to guide it off of the paper). Wrap in plastic wrap or parchment, and freeze until firm.

3. Bake the cookies: Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two cookie sheets. Remove the dough from the freezer and unwrap it. Using a sharp knife, gently cut it into ½-inch slices. Transfer them to the prepared baking sheets. Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes, until theyâre a light golden brown. Remove them from the oven and transfer to a rack to cool.

4. Ice the cookies: Sift or strain the powdered sugar into a medium-sized bowl to remove any lumps. Whisk the cream into the sugar to make a smooth icing. Drizzle or spread icing onto cookies (or serve alongside in a bowl for dipping).

Yield: 2 dozen cookies

Read more:

o

Posted by gardengrl (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 18:35

This recipe is from Bon Appetit and promises to solve that "strange texture" cinnamon ice-cream can have if the cinnamon powder is added too early in the recipe.

I'm sure if you just want cinnamon ice-cream, you can omit the rum.

Cinnamon-Rum Ice Cream
Makes 1 1/2 quarts

6 large egg yolks
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons dark rum
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Whisk egg yolks to blend in medium metal bowl. Pour 1 cup cream into another medium bowl; set fine strainer over bowl with cream. Whisk milk, sugar, pinch of salt, and 1/2 cup cream in heavy medium saucepan; bring to simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves. Gradually whisk hot milk mixture into egg yolks. Return mixture to same saucepan and stir constantly over medium-low heat until custard thickens slightly and instant-read thermometer inserted into the custard registers 160° (do not boil), about 5 minutes.

Pour custard through strainer set over bowl with cream. Whisk mixture to blend; then whisk in rum and cinnamon. Chill custard until cold, about 2 hours.

Process custard in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer ice-cream to container; freeze until firm, at least 4 hours or overnight.

o

Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 22:39

Alexa, yep $$ store cinnamon...:)

o
cinnamon recipes

Sun, Aug 15, 10 at 22:53

Okay here's 2 in my arsenal.

Roselin's Chocolate Snickerdoodles

1c buter
1 1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
2 1/4 c flour
1/2 c cocoa
2 t cream of tarter
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 t vanilla
Topping
2T sugar
2 t cinnamon

Combine butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs. Cream well. Sift dry ingredients except Topping. Add to egg mixture and chill dough for at least 1 hour. Roll dough into walnut size balls and roll in cinnamon sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375F for 8-10 minutes.
Makes 4-5 dozen.

Applesauce Cake

3/4 c butter, softened
1 1/2 c sugar
3 eggs
2 3/4 c flour
1 1/2 t salt
1 1/2 t baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
3/4 t nutmeg
3/4 t cinnamon
1 14oz can of sweetened applesauce (I use homemade barely sweetened and also have used pear sauce.)
3/4 c chopped nuts (optional)
2 greased loaf pans (8x4)

Preheat oven to 350F.
Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in blended dry ingredients, alternating with applesauce.
Stir in 3/4 c chopped nuts before pouring into 2 loaf pans.
Bake for 1 hour or until done. (start checking at 50 minutes)

Remove and cool for 10 minutes and then remove from pans and cool on rack.

Optional Sugar Glaze:
Mix 1/2 c icing sugar with 1 T water, pour over cake.

o

Posted by canarybird (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 3:49

I will look for what I have in my recipe file, although I lost so much of it when my computer crashed in April.

When I was kid and wanted a snack I would make some...

Cinnamon Toast

Mix equal parts of cinnamon and icing sugar (confectioners' sugar) in a cup.

Spread freshly made toast thickly with soft butter.

Then sprinkle the sugar/cinnamon mix on top.

Eat...Yum...and don't tell your mom or your dentist!

SharonCb

o

Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 11:21

oooh icing sugar..I never heard of that...it would be meltier..(spell check doesn't like that word) LOL

I keep a sugar jar/dispenser full of cinnamon sugar for the boys. But use granulated.

o

Posted by lowspark (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 17, 10 at 21:53

Nancy,
I made your Cinnamon Swirl Quick Bread. It came out of the oven 10 minutes ago. Delicious!!! This one's definitely a keeper!!

o

Posted by sally2 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 18, 10 at 11:02

I don't have any recipes to share that feature cinnamon that wouldn't basically repeat what's already been posted, but I can see I'm going to be adding many of the above recipes to my arsenal.

As far as ornaments are concerned, when my children were small, we painted santa faces on cinnamon sticks, and glued wires to them to make Christmas ornaments. They turned out quite cute. They make long, skinny Santas. We actually still have a few left.

Sally

o

Posted by ci_lantro (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 7:59

Lou, I would love to have a recipe for the cinnamon buns. Those look so yummy!

Please post the recipe!!

o

Posted by ann_t (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 10:09

You can't go wrong wtih the Joy of Baking's Cinnamon Rolls. I top mine with a cream cheese frosting.

Sometimes I pack them into the pan so that they touch and they end up looking like this:

Or I bake them on a cookie sheet, spaced so they don't touch and they look like this:

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Cinnamon Rolls (Buns)
=====================
From Joy of Baking

Dough:
4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose " flour
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup milk
1/3 cup "" butter
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
"3 eggs
Filling:
3/4 cup packed brown"sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose " flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 Cup" butter
1/2 cup light raisins (optional)
1 tablespoon half-and-half
1 recipe Powdered Sugar Glaze

Powdered Sugar Glaze:

In a bowl stir together 1 1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon light corn syrup, 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract and enough half-and-half (1 to 2 tablespoons) to make the glaze thin enough to drizzle over cinnamon rolls.
. In a large mixing bowl combine 2 1/4 cups of the flour and the yeast.

In a small saucepan heat the milk, the 1/3 cup butter, 1/3 cup sugar,
and salt just till warm (120 degrees to 130 degrees)and butter is
almost melted, stirring constantly. Add to flour mixture. Add eggs.
Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl. Beat on high
speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the
remaining 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 cups flour as you can.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the
remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and
elastic (3 to 5 minutes). Shape into a ball. Place in a greased bowl,
turning once. Cover; let rise in a warm place till double (about 1 - 1
1/2 hours).

For filling, combine brown sugar, the 1/4 cup flour, and cinnamon. Cut
in remaining butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Set
aside.

Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let
rest for 10 minutes.

Roll the dough into a 12 inch square. Sprinkle filling over dough
square; top with raisins (if desired). Roll up jelly-roll style; pinch
edges to seal.

Slice roll into eight 1 1/2 inch pieces. Arrange dough pieces, cut
side up, in a greased 12 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan. Cover dough loosely
with clear plastic wrap, leaving room for rolls to rise.

Refrigerate dough for 2 to 24 hours. Uncover and let stand at room
temperature for 30 minutes.

(If you are making the cinnamon rolls immediately, donât chill dough.
Instead, cover loosely, let dough rise in a warm place till nearly
double, about 45 minutes.)

Break any surface bubbles with a greased toothpick.

Brush dough with a half-and-half. Bake in a 375 degree oven to 25 to 30
minutes or till light brown.

If necessary to prevent over-browning., cover rolls loosely with foil
the last 5 to 10 minutes of baking. Remove rolls from oven. Brush again
with half-and-half. Cool 5 minutes. Invert onto a baking rack and
invert again onto a plate. Can drizzle with Powdered Sugar Glaze. Serve
warm. Makes 8 rolls.

Note: I prefer a Cream Cheese icing.

1/4 cup butter
1 cup cream cheese

Cream together and add enough icing/powder sugar to make a creamy icing.

o

Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 10:12

OMG Ann - those photos are absolutely drool worthy and since I have made that recipe before I know for a fact that it turns out the best product ever! Ci_Lantro - you need to look no further - this IS the Holy Grail of Cinnamon Buns!

Alexa

o

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 10:59

I don't care for cinnamon with tomatoes, otherwise I love it nearly any way. These cookies are a King Arthur Flour recipe, but I seldom cut them out, I roll them into logs and slice and bake when I want them. I never have cinnamon oil and I sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar before baking.

Cinnamon Snaps

1/2 cup (1 stick, 4 ounces) unsalted butter
3/4 cup (5 5/8 ounces) brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon oil, optional
1 large egg
2 tablespoons light corn syrup (1 1/2 ounces)
1 2/3 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

To prepare the dough: In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, and cinnamon oil. Beat in the egg and syrup. Add the flour, beating until smooth. Divide the dough in half, and shape each half into a smooth-edged disk (like a hockey puck). Wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour, or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.

To shape and bake the cookies: Working with one half of dough at a time, roll the dough 1/8" thick. Use a cutter to cut the shapes of your choice, and transfer them to the prepared baking sheets. Bake the cookies for 12 to 13 minutes; this will make a cookie thatâs crisp, but not hard. (If you have any doubts about your ovenâs temperature or baking time, bake one cookie first, allow it to cool, and see if itâs the texture you like.) Remove the cookies from the oven, and cool them on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.

Yield: about 7 dozen 2" to 2 ½" cutout cookies.

annie

o

Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 12:47

Ann, you would have to post that recipe. I haven't made those rolls for awhile and now I have a very strong craving.
Those are the best unadulterated cinnamon rolls. Just the way I like them.

Annie, the cookies would be great too!

Nancy

o

Posted by rosewitch (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 15:41

To me Cinnamon Buns/Rolls are what Ann posted. I love those and that recipe is wonderful.

The picture Lou posted is what I know as Sticky Buns. I just can't eat them for all the toothache inducing sticky stuff.

I like cinnamon buns sometimes with the cream cheese drippy frosting! But I admit to also eating them plain hot from the oven when I can't wait just for the warm yeasty roll.

I hate cold weather but I am so ready for a long baking day when it cools off a bit.
Kat

o

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 15:53

Kat, we've always called them "sticky buns" or _sticky rolls) too, because they're...well...sticky. (grin)

I like the frosting on cinnamon rolls but when I was a kid they were never frosted, we ate them hot from the oven with butter on them, like any other bread. I still love them that way the best.

Annie

o

Posted by rosewitch (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 16:13

Annie,

So glad to hear that I am not the only one that likes them with butter and almost plain. I think the cinnamon taste is the best that way!

My favorite days growing up were the ones spent in my grandmother's farm kitchen on baking day. She would bake bread, dinner rolls and make apple dumplings and cinnamon rolls; enough for the week. I couldn't wait for the cinnamon rolls to come out of the oven. Oh and there were always chewy oatmeal raisin cookies too. As she aged the oatmeal cookies became the only baking she did; but boy she didn't lose her touch with them. Anyone around would fight over those cookies! She sure didn't have the kitchen equipment we have today, but what she turned out of that kitchen was wonderful.

Kat

o

Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 16:43

I was all set to make Ann T's Cinnamon Buns and then as I was gathering ingredients I realized I was out of yeast! No idea how that happened but in any case, I was still in the mood for something cinnamon-y and I found this recipe in my "to try" file. It is in the oven right now and smells heavenly! And I think I will make the white glaze from Ann cinnamon Buns instead of the brown sugar one listed here... or maybe I'll cover half with one and half with the other.

Alexa

Apple Coffee Cake with Crumble Topping and Brown Sugar Glaze
Cake:
⢠1 stick plus 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
⢠1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
⢠2 large eggs
⢠2 cups all purpose flour
⢠1 teaspoon baking soda
⢠1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
⢠1/2 teaspoon salt
⢠1 cup sour cream
⢠1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
⢠2 cups peeled, cored and chopped apples
Crumble Topping:
⢠1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
⢠1/2 cup all purpose flour
⢠1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
⢠4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Brown Sugar Glaze:
⢠1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
⢠1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
⢠2 tablespoons water
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with 2 teaspoons of the butter.
In a large bowl, cream together the remaining stick of butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating after the addition of each. In a separate bowl or on a piece of parchment, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients, alternating with the sour cream and vanilla. Fold in the apples. Pour into the prepared baking dish, spreading out to the edges.
To make the topping, in a bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter, and mix until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the topping over the cake and bake until golden brown and set, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes.
To make the glaze, in a bowl, combine the sugar, vanilla, and water and mix until smooth. Drizzle the cake with the glaze and let harden slightly. Serve warm.

o

Posted by denise8101214 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 17:45

All the Cookalong Links

Here is a link that might be useful: All the Cookalong Links
o

Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 22:08

I'll be out of town until Wednesday night.

Will draw a name upon my return...

Keep adding cinnamon recipes.....I love cinnamon!

Denise...thank you for keeping track of the threads!

Nancy

o

Posted by dancinglemons (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 2:51

Baked Beans

(semi-homemade)

2 large cans Bush*s Vegetarian Beans
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons mustard (yellow)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped onions

Put all in large pot and simmer for 20 minutes
or
Bake in 350F oven for 45 minutes

Enjoy!

DL

o

Posted by sally2 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 10:04

I'm a little late to the party, but I made this last night for DS's and my combined birthday dinner. DH, who says he hates cake, loved it. The best part about it is that it's easy and quick. DH had made some chocolate chip ice cream, and the comments about cinnamon ice cream got me to thinking this would be a perfect match to go with the ice cream. It was. I didn't make the frosting - partly due to time constraints, but also because I figured the ice cream would serve that purpose. I'm not much of a frosting lover. I'll post the recipe for it, anyway.

Cinnamon Squares

For the cake:

1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
1 tablespoon plus 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup whole milk (I used 1%, which is all I had, and it turned out fine)
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 stick plus 2 tablespoons (10 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, or 1/2 cup store-bought mini chocolate chips
For the frosting

6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces

Getting ready: Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan and line the bottom with parchment or wax paper. Place the pan on a baking sheet.

To make the cake: Stir 2 tablespoons of the sugar, 2 1/2 teaspoons of the cinnamon and the espresso together in a small bowl.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, the remaining 1 1/4 cups sugar, the baking powder, salt and the remaining 1 tablespoon cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and vanilla. Pour the liquid ingredients over the flour mixture and gently whisk until you have a homogenous batter. Now, using the whisk or a rubber spatula, fold in the butter with a light touch, just until the butter is absorbed. You'll have a smooth, satiny batter.

Scrape half of the batter into the pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle the chocolate over the batter and dust with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Cover with the rest of the batter and smooth the top again.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the cake is puffed and beginning to pull away from the sides of the pan; a thin knife inserted into the center will come out clean. Transfer the cake to a cooling rack and let it rest for 15 minutes before un-molding it onto another rack. Peel off the paper, invert it onto the first rack, and cool to room temperature right side up.

To make the frosting: Put the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and fit the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Cook, stirring gently and often, just until they melt. Be careful not to overheat the mixture so much that it thins out; the chocolate should be smooth, very shiny, thick and spreadable. (If it thins, leave the frosting at room temperature for a bit, until it thickens a little.)

Using an offset metal icing spatula or a table knife, spread the frosting in generous sweeps and swirls over the top of the cake. Allow the frosting to set at room temperature, then cut the cake into 9 squares, each about 2 1/2 inches on a side.

Boy, after typing out that frosting recipe, I'm wondering why I didn't want it!

Sally

o

Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 18:14

ci lantro:
Sorry I haven't been Posting much, plus I've been away to AC, NJ.
Below is the Recipe for the Cinnamon Bunns and Dough.

rosewitch:
Far as I know Cinnamon Bunns are mainly an East Coast name.

Anything West of N.Y. , N.J. and Pa. they are called
Sticky Bunns.

Louâs Cinnamon Buns ------

SS Pan ,9 ½ in by 12 in by 2 ½ in deep Or Pyrex baking dish

3/4 stick of butter and 1 tablesp. Of Vegetable oil
Pancake syrup , Brown Sugar and a little granulated sugar
Cinnamon and Raisins

Melt the butter in the pan and let it cool ( put it in the refrig. a few minutes)
Level it across the pan and back into the refrig to harden.

Take it out and Sprinkle very little oil and move it around with the back of a spoon.
Dribble some pancake syrup all around the pan , then a little gran. Sugar
Then lay in some brown sugar . Donât be chincey , leave some lumps.
Last sprinkle ( good bit ) of Cinnamon and Raisins. You can also add some walnuts,
If you want to. If you donât want to , donât do it but donât blame me , if you didnât
Do and wish you had done , etc.

Take half + of the recipe of the Braided Bread dough and roll it out to about
3/16 in thick ( 3 pennies ) You can do the dough in 2 pieces if it is easier.
Try to roll them out to at least 16 in long. x 12 in. Sprinkle some pancake syrup,
Sugar and cinnamon on the dough , then some raisins. Roll the dough up loosely,
Making a 12 in. long Roll and cut into 1 in. pieces. Mark the roll ,at half way
and half again before cutting., into 8 pieces. Do the same to the other piece of dough
Place these pieces in the pan that you prepared ,
leaving spaces in between , because the dough will grow.
Push them around with your fingers, to fill the pan evenly.
When the dough is doubled , bake in a 320 degree oven , on a shelf
near the top, for about 25 to 35 minutes or golden brown.
You can Baste , with an egg milk mix, while baking.
When it is removed from the oven , place a piece of aluminum foil over it and
a large cutting board or cookie tin and then flip it over and remove the pan.
If some of the goodies stay in the pan take them out right away and patch
the Buns while the goo is still hot.
WARNING !!!! Get away from them until they cool. !!!!!!!!
You will burn your lips
Now you can see if you used enough brown sugar and gooey stuff.

Everyone has their own way to do this, which is better.
But! I like to cook and bake using easier ways,
long as the end results are the same.
I've used this recipe since I got out of the Army, a very long time ago
and converted it from Army Baking (Large amounts )to Home Baking.
It wasn't easy going from 4 Quarts to 4 cups , etc.
But I worked it out.

I got the results that I wanted and I'm passing it on to
everyone
Here is the recipe:

Louâs - - - Braided, Plaited Bread or Dough for Cinnamon Buns , Bagels, Etc.

2 cups of milk, (warm ) - - Sometimes I sub Powdered Milk
1 1/3 cup of Sugar
3 large eggs- beaten (save ½ egg w. a little milk for basting )
1 tablesp.+ of Vanilla - -
½ cup + of oil - -
1/2 teasp. Salt
2 packs of Fleischmans Active dry yeast
AP Flour - 3 cups to start ( probably about 6 total )
enough to knead into a soft ball that doesnât stick to your hands.
I now substitute a cup of WW Flour. Makes a nice texture and tender.
Stir the yeast in a 1/3 cup of warm water w. 1/2 spoon of sugar, to test it for raising.

In a large mixing bowl, or (KA mixer) place the warm milk ( not hot )
add the sugar ,vanilla , salt & eggs
Beat until the sugar is dissolved and add the Yeast and mix well.
Add 1 cup of WW flour and 3 cups of AP flour and mix with mixer a few minutes.
Add flour until you make a " soft " Ball of dough that doesnât stick to your hands.
Donât make it too stiff , try to keep it a "soft dough."
On the Work Top, Sprinkle some flour under the ball and Knead it until smooth.
Place it in a large bowl, Rub some oil on top.

Cover with a damp towel and place in a warm spot ( until double.) I usually turn my oven on for a few minutes to warm and shut it.
Place a pan of hot water on the bottom shelf.

Then place the dough bowl in the oven to rise.
When ( doubled ) deflate and put it out of the bowl onto a floured worktop.
Punch it down and knead the dough again. Then cut into 2 pieces ( 2 loaves ).
Divide each piece into 3. Roll each of these 3 pieces into the shape
of a sweet potato ( about 12 in long ).
With the basting ( egg ) mixture and wet the tips of the 3 pieces
and stick them together at one end .
Then spread the other end the shape of an arrow While keeping the stuck ends down and away from you ,
twist each piece clockwise about 8 times and
lay them down so you can Platt or Braid them and
stick the other ends together
There are other ways to Braid ( 6 Strands ) but I take the fast easy way to do things.
Place the 2 shaped loaves on lightly oiled cookie tins, or in loaf pans.
Preheat the oven to 400 deg.
Spray some Pam on the loaves or brush with oil. This will keep them from drying while raising.
When doubled in size (about 20 min.) place in the oven , top shelf and bake until slightly tan.
Baste them with the egg mix and rotate them back into the oven and
( Turn temperature down to 325 deg.)
Baste again when they are a dark tan. Cook till a rich brown, mahogany color.
Take them out of the pans onto a rack to cool. Control yourself !!!! Let them cool !!!

This sounds like a lot to do but it is easy and should take only 10 minutes to mix and shape.
The most time is in the waiting for the dough to rise and for the bread to cool .
But it do look great !!! & Professional
This dough can also be used for Cinnamon Buns .
I use it for Bagels too. I like the Subtle , sweet taste.

o
PS - Cookalong #33 ----------Cinnamon!

Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 22:03

Should have read thru the Recipe.
Didn't know all the Braided Bread was in there too.
Lou

o

Mon, Aug 30, 10 at 10:20

Whew...it's been a busy week, I'm late in getting this next Cookalong started.

Here we go....... drawing a name.....it is

>>>>>>>> Terri pacnw Terry, please pick out next subject, check the FAQ for the list of what has already been covered. Then post to this thread and I'll set up the new one.

Thanks all, there are many good recipes here.

Nancy

o

Mon, Aug 30, 10 at 11:19

WOW...me...a winnner...

Well, every thing I could think of..was already chosen..

BUT Chocolate, Chicken(we did years ago, could do a redo), Coconut or Coffee...

Ummmm I'm picking Chocolate...cocoa, cocao nibs, milk, dark, semi, white, cocoa butter..bittersweet, unsweetened..

o

Posted by therustyone (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 30, 10 at 11:36

Whether they are called 'Cinnamon Buns', Cinnamon Rolls', or 'Sticky Buns'.
I can vouch for Lou's recipe.
The grandsons love them!
For us, I go light on the syrup, heavy on the cinnamon.
Also add lots of walnuts.
And 'plump' the raisins in hot water.

Addictive!

Rusty

o

Mon, Aug 30, 10 at 11:57

Thanks Terri! What a wonderful choice, there are very few who dislike chocolate.

I'll set up the new cookalong....

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Cookalong # 34 - Chocolate
o

Mon, Aug 30, 10 at 22:33

Rusty:
Thanks for the Plug !!! I appreciate it.
Almost too late ???

Terri:
I have all of them Chocolates, Now I'll have to think of how to use them , besides eating them .
Lou

Comment

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor