SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

I'm keeping the dining room :)

lavender_lass
12 years ago

As some of you may remember, I was gung ho to take down the wall, between the dining room and kitchen, when we remodel our old farmhouse. I didn't see any reason to keep the dining room and it would be more expensive to add on a keeping room (which is what I really want). So, with help from many on GW, (especially Summerfield) I worked on different plans that opened up the smaller spaces.

This summer, we started cleaning out the old house and going through decades worth of 'stuff'...some treasures, some junk...but all old. Well, something else happened, too. Many of my husband's family members started sharing their memories of the old house. The Christmas mornings, the holiday dinners, things that mean so much to a family. And, I found I didn't have the heart to do it. What I saw as an old dining room that blocked light to the kitchen...they saw as a wonderful part of their childhood.

So...we're keeping the dining room and adding the keeping room. We also decided to keep the bedroom (that's there now) as the study/guest room and add on a master suite. Yes, it's going to cost more...but if we're going to remodel the farmhouse...why not do what we really want?

Thanks to Summerfield, here's the final plan to remodel the farmhouse. I decided to pick up the details that were added in the 1920s and base the moldings, trim, etc. on that time period. It kind of splits the difference, between the original 1904 home and the addition in the 1950s.

And yes, a part of this post is that I want to show off my floor plan that is the result of so much help, from the many wonderful people on GW. But, I also thought I should say a 'thank you' to all those here, who told me "Don't lose the dining room!" LOL Thanks, again :)

I should mention, the house faces southeast, the parking is off to the left side, and I love Summerfield's idea to open up the dining room to the kitchen, but still keep it a separate space.
{{gwi:1585859}}From Courtyard Garden album

Comments (7)