SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Twin over Full Bunkbeds for a tiny, low-ceiling room

lynnalexandra
12 years ago

We're trying to find a relatively unobtrusive bunk bed for a tiny beach condo. The bedroom is 9 by 10 feet - with 7 1/2 foot ceilings.

It being a condo is significant for two reasons. One is that we rent it some of the time - so we want to maximize number of occupants and allow 3 kids to sleep in this room. Then there's a small master bedroom which can sleep two. We had a previous apartment we rented that slept five - so we've got a long list of regular renters that are parties of five.

The other significance of this being a beach condo is that we're not living in it full time. So a little crowded and unspacious is okay since we're not usually there for more than 3-7 days at a time. And my daughter (tall 12 year old) - absolutely adores bunkbeds. Loves the coziness on the bottom and the retreat she can get up on top. She still plays a lot and enjoyed the bunkbed we had in our previous beach apartment.

So not only is the room small - but the ceilings are only 7 1/2 feet tall. In our previous place we rented, we never even thought about height. I assume it was 8 foot ceilings - but there was plenty of room for to sit up in the bottom bed - and sit up on the top.

In my search for fairly unimposing bunkbeds, I discovered this Room and Board Riley Duo bed:

http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/product/detail.do?productGroup=19662

This bed is only 66" high (and that is the top of the rail and frame - the mattress is about 7 inches below that). So on top (with their 6 inch mattress) there is about 31" of clearance (maybe 32). We went to the store and discovered the problem was that my daughter could not sit up straight in the bottom bed without hitting her head on the slats. The clearance was only 28". They had a 10" mattress on the bottom. We could use their 6" mattress - or get a foam mattess ourselves that could be 6-7". And that would probably do it - until she grows. So I'm a little worried about the fit. I can't believe that the extra 6 inches in ceiling height of our former apartment could have made the bottom and top bunk so easy to sit up in that we never actually gave it a thought.

What I love about this bed is how open it is. Relatively speaking, with open ends and the arch, it's much less imposing and heavy than other twin over full bunk beds I've seen. But I'm concerned this is a little tight.

The only way I can see around this is if the lower mattress were lower to the ground - or we could definitely find good, comfortable low profile mattresses.

I'd love any recommendations on particular brands. Or any feedback about whether this twin over full bunkbed is doable. I think that with this bunkbed, we'd have room for a moderate sized tall chest (3-3 1/2 feet wide - up to 4 feet tall - plenty to accomodate a week's worth of clothing for a couple of kids). And then there's still room for a bean bag - and floor space to play on.

One other consideration. The ladder on the Riley bed was very comfortable on the feet (and stury and secure). Some of the other bunkbeds at room and board had ladders which hurt to step on (too narrow a rung).

We are hoping not to have to do a trundle since that would sleep more (good for renters) but provide no fun for my daughter to play in and spend time in.

Here are some other bunkbeds I spotted online - in case anyone has feedback:

http://www.csnbunkbeds.com/Discovery-World-Furniture-2118-DWF1130.html

http://www.csnbunkbeds.com/Wildon-Home-460093-CST1575.html#ReviewHeader

http://www.csnbunkbeds.com/Atlantic-Furniture-AB55104-AB55204-AB55504-FY2796.html#ReviewHeader

I'm trying to pick on where the ladder doesn't go to the floor - because I know my daughter will trip on it endlessly. Anything that protrudes, she bangs into.

Thank you.

Lynn.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida