SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hunzi_gw

Teeny Tiny Powder Room - on a teenier budget

hunzi
13 years ago

Hi there!

I need to put together a tiny powder room - in a converted pantry off the kitchen (which hasn't been renovated yet).

The space is only about 3x7. I'm putting a toilet on one end, a corner sink on the other, and a pocket door that opens across from the sink. Think bathroom stall! But it's the only place I have for a 1/2 bath on the main floor of this 1884 farmhouse.

So, I know I'm using a Toto Guinevere toilet, and I'm looking at the Cheviot White Sheffield Corner Pedestal Sink with Matching Elizabethan Classics Centerset Faucet in Satin Nickel for the sink.

I could use ideas for the floor & walls. The ceilings are 10+ft so it's vertically spacious!

I was thinking of using the same flooring I hope to use in the kitchen, a heart pine, so the two spaces flowed together, but DH is worried that a wood floor in such a little space will feel dark (no window). Any thoughts?

So if we go with tile, I'm thinking white - something like an unglazed porcelain, either hex, basketweave, or marble lookalike. We've never tiled before, and this is a DIY project, so let's lean towards simple, and the less expensive the better (as long as it doesn't look cheap!).

My goal is to keep the bath in the style/feel of the house - we have original 5in woodwork, 10ft ceilings, oak floors in the public rooms - it's a simple, but well built old 1884 brick victorian farmhouse. I have no original tile to use as a guide, probably because it didn't get indoor plumbing until the 1920s.

For the walls, just drywall? Beadboard - (can't do the full height, since it's over 10ft& don't want a seam or to have to do individual planks), stop at sink level or something above that up to 8ft (full sheet)? Tile in such a little space?

I could place a corner cabinet for the mirror over the sink, and if needed I can put a cabinet/mirror over the toilet (the back wall there is over the basement stairs, so I could probably recess a medicine cabinet for storage.

toilet

http://www.performancetoilets.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=-sana+-skirted+-ada&Page=1

sink

http://www.vintagetub.com/asp/product_detail.asp?item_no=C930-ECCS03CP

I know people here have done some awesome baths on all kinds budgets, and I'd really appreciate your ideas!

Always ;-)

Hunzi

Comments (17)

• techiestar
    13 years ago

I think wainscoting would fit the style of the house, and if you kept it white or cream with a lighter paint color above you'd have a nice open feeling room. I think a hex or basket weave tile would look wonderful, but if you go with wainscoting I think you could have the wood floors without any issue.

• User
    13 years ago

Sounds like you can make this a total little jewel box of a powder room. We have about the same amount of space in our new tiny 3/4 bath.....at the end opposite the toilet, we stole a closet and made a tiled shower.

Here is a photo of the toilet end of my little room.

I show the construction phase of the beadboard sheet being glued to the wall. The 4x8 sheets laid long way give the vertical beaded pattern. Then we put a small strip of wood molding on that. Behind the toilet we added a shallow shelf instead of molding, and then I added two more wooden shelves open out of wood. But I'd have liked glass shelves with hidden supports wall to wall.

We also had an 8 foot ceiling there, but in order to make room for an a/c duct and a vent fan, we dropped the ceiling about a foot.

With your space, you have room for a 24" ceiling fan w/a light. I have one in our kitchen, called the MonteCarlo, bought it from Lowes. I would look good in a bath and it does move the air nicely. As soon as my software lets me take photos off my camera, I'll show you how the toilet end of the tiny room looks today.

The sink is the smallest I ever saw, very stylish, but you could go with a larger one. Ours is a Porcher ELFE, single hole drilled and we put in the Price Pfister ASHFIELD in an ORB.

We also have a French pocket door. I had the room to put in a barn door, which is really a pocket door exposed w/o the pocket, surface mounted in the hallway with ornamental hardware. That would not take away any extra width of an already narrow toilet alcove. So far I have not glazed over the panes of the french door for privacy.

I have just a nice paint job on the upper portion of the wall. Our contractor advised us to use oil based primer, two coats, for the beadboard paneling and for the upper walls. Then I came back with semigloss latex enamel over the beadboard, and satin latex enamel above.

If I were you, and there was no crown molding in this little bath area, I would drop down to 8' level and add picture molding around the room. Paint it whatever your other woodwork is. I do not think you need to drop your ceiling height, but the small ceiling fan would be a neat addition and make an a/c vent optional.

Our toilet is the American Standard Compact Cadet 3 water sense one piece model, with a 1.24 gallon flush. Really like it, and it is definitely compact but also 16.5" tall. It never requires a second flush and it is easy to keep clean.

• Related Discussions

Teeny Tiny Powder Room Challenge

Q

Comments (12)
    Your existing space is probably in violation of code requirements for clearances right now. You need to have a minimum of 21" of unobstructed space in front of a toilet, and most toilets stick out from the wall anywhere from 24"-28". Since you haven't provided a diagram, I can only guess here, but you will be lucky to have just a toilet fit into that space legally; there's definitely no room for a sink, too.
    ...See More

Wwyd with teeny tiny powder room??

Q

Comments (20)
    Your powder room looks just like the one we renovated as part of a larger product - it's about 3'x6' or 7' with the door in the middle. I was determined to get rid of a pedestal sink but so many vanities I looked at extended out more than 18"-19" which was out further than where the door frame begins -- basically "blocking" the visual opening. So beware of that. In the end, to keep the costs down, I bought a new nicer pedestal sink, you don't need a lot of storage in a powder room and it keeps the floor open and makes the room look larger. I splurged out on good wallpaper, floor tile and nice faucet and fixtures though - I'm happy.
    ...See More

Tiny powder room sink - which side does the faucet go on?

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks all, especially @elunia for the images which showed how both options would look (and those powder rooms are the exact same layout as what ours will be). I think away from the toilet makes the most sense for us as well @patricia colwell consulting. @sofaspud - door will open outwards, but otherwise yes, it was a helpful consideration lol. @tatts - it's brand new, so it could be plumbed either way.
    ...See More

Tiny Powder Room Before and After

Q

Comments (29)
    Towel holder on door would likely look okay, but everyone will drip water all over the floor to dry their hands. I'd go ahead and drill into the masonry and do a correct installation. It's probably hard to face messing up with your new looking walls, but you'll be glad to have it done right, in the right place.
    ...See More
  • lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Continuing the flooring will not "look dark". It IS DARK! It has no windows! I think continuing the floor into the area would be a good idea, and one less product and installation to manage.

Read this color consultant's post on why "light colors" might not work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Light colors and dark rooms.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Adding ... a 10-foot ceiling in that tiny space will make it feel like being in the bottom of a sinkhole.

Paint the celling a different color than the walls and carry the color down to the 8-foot level and add a strip of molding to give the illusion that the wall ends there.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Sounds like the plans you already have are going to be nice with the toilet and pedestal sink. If you keep the cabinets and wainscoting a white, that will help to widen out the room. Carrying the same flooring from the kitchen to the powder room sounds like a good idea to me and avoids a choppy feel. A pastel color for the wall and a darker ceiling in the same color will help to balance out the room. I agree...if you can do a ceiling fan light it will bring good air-circulation to the space. If you don't go with a ceiling fan, a chandelier would be a good fit. A collection of small framed artwork on the walls might look nice. Best of luck with your project. Here are some inspiration photos...I am always outside of the box so like the zebra one below...LOL.

{{gwi:1432744}}

{{gwi:1432746}}

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I would continue the flooring as well as the other millwork into the powderroom. Continuity to other rooms is generally visually expanding. I would also consider beadboard or tile up to a wainscot height. Having had to paint plaster or drywall behind toilets in tiny bathrooms on numerous occasions, I swore my next house would have a powderoom that I didn't have to lay on the floor and paint. So I give you that advice now.

As for the ceiling height. 10 feet could actually make the room feel smaller because the height is over 3 times the width and about a third larger than the length. I live in a complex with 14' ceilings on the first floor, and some of the vestibules and halls seem quite narrow (@ 6 ft), simply because they are so tall. So I would either go for the quirkiness factor of it, hang a ceiling fixture on a long chain, --or consider lowering the ceiling to 8---->8-1/2 to bring it into scale.

• Jbrig
    13 years ago

Here's my remodeled-but-not-yet-fully-redecorated powder room. (In fact, I need to post for suggestions on accessorizing it.) It's about 3' x 7', also.

Also, the picture above the toilet is not as high as it looks--IRL, it is at an appropriate height.

• hunzi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You guys rock!

Thank you so much for the ideas and the photos! It helps so much to have a similar bathroom to see what it will be like!!!

The flooring is still up for debate. DH still wants tile, but it actually sounds like his biggest concern isn't that it will be too dark, but that he lacks confidence that he can meet a wood floor in the bathroom to one in the kitchen (at a later date).

There's something weird with the joists in the kitchen, they are sized differently and positioned differently than the rest of the house like an extra subfloor or something- we think it might be that it might be that an older little house (aka the kitchen) was overbuilt by the newer 1884 house. Anyway, he thought he could use a marble transition to cover any flaws. I gently informed him that I hate those little toe stubbers (no lippage for me!) and it wouldn't be acceptable anyway, and reminded him that the future transition between the kitchen & dining room has to be perfect too, so he'll just have to figure it out and pull up everything & sister the joists for level if we have to! He really is a good carpenter, just frets over new projects. Irony - he's worried about doing a floor transition, but not about removing a loadbearing wall & inserting a beam to open up the kitchen!

Y'all are right, we need to drop the ceiling at least to 9ft (from 10.5ft), maybe 8.5 even.

I love the look of the wainscot. And I definitely do not want to ever paint or wall paper behind a toilet in a 3x7ft room!

moccasinlanding - I'd love to see a photo of the tiny ceiling fan - I had never thought of that. I can't thank you enough for the pictures! How far does your sink protrude into the room, and how easy/hard is it to pass on the way to the toilet? I've looked at pedestal sinks up to 18inches deep, but don't know yet how it feels. (We'll mock up with cardboard before we place the order.)

I'll keep y'all updated!
    Always ;-)
    Hunzi

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Just a thought...a ceiling fan on a rod might also be able to bring the height of the ceiling down without having to change the structure. There are some with blades in the 28 inch range. Looking forward to see what you do with this room...should be a challenge but fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: fan

• dedtired
    13 years ago

What's wrong with dark? One of the most inviting powder rooms I ever saw was one that was very dark. It had brown wallpaper, a dark floor and the feeling was very restful. Having lights and a mirror adds plenty of light. Why not just go with the dark? The pine floors sound just wonderful.

• User
    13 years ago

This is the fan image from Lowes.com which is where I bought two of these fans. Visit the link because there are 17 reviews of this model, mostly satisfied, very few have any problem at all with it.

And the sink in my bath I bought from Vintage Bath. It is a Porcher ELFE. It has good reviews too. Built in Canada.
    At the Vintage website, you can find specs. It measures 9.5" deep, 20" wide. I had selected another larger sink for this spot, but once the contractor took 10" off the depth of the bathroom, I had to find another option. This is the tiniest sink in the tiniest 3/4 bath in the WORLD, at least in a house not a boat! I would choose the gooseneck faucet for it though, to give better access to the small basin area. It is drilled for single hole and has no overflow, so my drain plug is the popup kind.

Of course there is not a lot of room, but we have no trouble navigating the space to dry off after a shower. There is adequate room between the front of the toilet and the sink. Here is a photo of the bath with the door closed (French door panes not yet sprayed though) and the straight-on view into the space. I hesitate to call it a "room," you know. :)

Showing the space between the sink and the toilet:

....the space where the sink and shower meet

If the door to your powder room is not exactly in the corner, but even as little as 9 or 10 inches away from the corner, you'd have room for the ELFE sink mounted flat on the wall.

The other sink I had originally purchased, also from Vintage Tub was this one, 14" deep x 24" wide. Since I had it, I decided to put it in our master bath, not completed yet. It is the Cheviot Nova wall mount win a side shelf, very convenient. I put another Price Pfister faucet on it. There are many good ratings for this sink also, so visit Vintagetub.com to read them, if you have the space for this sink.

Hope I did not miss answering anything.

Lots of pretty powder rooms pictured in this thread. Good luck making your choices.

Here is a link that might be useful: MonteCarlo 24

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Nice job moccasinlanding that is an inspiration in space-saving decor.

• hunzi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Love all the ideas! I'm thinking and rethinking. One surprise already - actually no surprise because all our projects seem to mushroom like a nuclear fireball - we were planning to just do the little bathroom now, and save the kitchen for later, but we discovered that the only way to position the new LVL beam for the kitchen is going to be to manuver it into the powder room space, so that means the kitchen restructure has to occur before/with the powder room job. It's always something! Given a major kitchen remodel isn't in the budget right now, I'm going to do a kitchen compromise makeover - reuse the fun 1940's metal kitchen cabinets, and probably nix the antique heart pine floors for the moment in favor of much less expensive black & white checkerboard. Toss in a hopefully uber cute range and we're golden in the kitchen for a few years until the budget recovers. So if I do checkerboard in the kitchen, it's black & white octagon & dot (or something similar) for the powder room for a nice flow. It will shift the vibe from Victorian to Fun Forty's, with almost no other changes in fixture - same Toto Guenevere toilet, a small Halden Pedestal Sink, and 4ft bead board wainscot on the walls with a recessed cabinet above the toilet for all the necessities. We'll drop the ceiling a little, and I'll either use the midcentury light fixture I stashed in the basement 17yrs ago as an overhead light, or we'll do the ceiling fan idea.

Right now, we're just finishing up with a Living Room facelift that has taken about five seconds less than an eternity, so I'm not sure how quickly I'm going to get him to start TheNextBigThing - especially when we really have to power thru a kitchen project, because eating cold bologna sandwiches (am I the only one thankful to Oscar Mayer for teachig me to spell that correctly?) kinda loses its charm after the 3rd month. ;-)

Always ;-)
    Hunzi

• avaroberts
    8 years ago

People, I too have a TINY space available for a powder room - 3'4" x 4'1" - doable?

• weedyacres
    8 years ago

That doesn't even meet code for a toilet closet, which should be 3'x5'.

• kudzu9
    8 years ago

avaroberts-
    Code requirements for a toilet are 15" on either side of the toilet centerline (so minimum 30" wide space) and 24" of clearance from the front edge of the toilet: the front edge of your toilet could be no more than 25" from the back wall; possible, but just barely. So...you could put in a toilet, but I don't see how you could get a sink in that space, too. And door placement and swing would be an issue with a standard door, so best to use a pocket door.

• juliaop
    5 years ago

We're doing a powder room with the same configuration you described here. Do you have any pictures you might be able to share of what you did for lighting, please? I either have room for one sconce or one overhead light. Would love any thoughts or advice you remember from when you did your powder room. Thanks!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022