SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly_ussher

Okay, I just couldn't stop myself...

SaintPFLA
15 years ago

You old house home owners know EXACTLY what that means.

When you're just going to lift up this ONE tile, or peel this ONE strip of loose wallpaper or remove that one piece of loose carpeting...then, hours later, you're like, "oh-oh....oops."

So, the doorjamb to the bath was loose. I spied what looked to be like 'original' tile under the layers of current tile, cement board and unknown gunk. I just wanted to 'see' if it was indeed original 1925 cuban tile or other tile. In Florida, Cuban tile was very popular and inexpensive and commonly installed in homes.

I should've known as whoever built this house did it on a shoe-string budget. There is literally nothing extraordinary under the layers of remodels over the years. Whatever was here, was removed over the years by different POs. But, I still 'hope' to find that architectual gem that has elluded me so far.

Instead, I pulled up a small section of the floor by chiseling the cement board with a hammer and screwdriver, then, lifted up the layers and found no salvagable ornate tile -- just very old layers of crappy linoleum. The linoleum was two layers deep and laid ON TOP of the original hardwood floor which is heart pine.

They only laid what looks like asphault or black felt paper(?) OVER the wood floor in the bathroom then laid the linoleum. Apparently, it is not the water deterent process that you might think...(DUH!).

So, in addition to old linoleum, I have found rotted, water damaged bathroom wood floor. Nice. This insaitable curosity never ends well with, "Oh look, Black Beard's missing treasure is buried under my house!"

Instead, it's more like, 'oh look, rotted, water damaged floor!".

I cleaned everything up and put everything back in it's place. I'm just praying I don't fall through the floor next time I'm in the shower, as fixing it is not in the budget right now!

I will say I am quite amazed at the linoleum. The pieces that came up are embedded with grime of course -- but still VERY shiny!!!! One layer is just plain white floor tile pattern, but the original layer is actually a very attractive faux tile pattern. It looks like a Dutch tile pattern - white background with blue and brown flower pattern.

I'm sure there was cuban tile there at some time (as was the trend in Florida at that time). But, some one ripped it out to replace it with this new product called, Linoleum.

Anyway, I'm sure you all can relate to my lack of self control! LOL...

Comments (5)