SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
old_house_j_i_m

Crazy Stairs

old_house_j_i_m
11 years ago

I need some help with what to do with my crazy stairs.
Photo is of the first part of the stairs. Please ignore the patchwork of paint samples everywhere and focus on the patchwork of wood trim everywhere, ha.

I want to know what you all think I should do with it - I'm not so concerned here with being all original. Creative solutions are welcome.

On the right side of the photo is the all original, horizontal stair railing with recessed paneling below - that's staying as is (you can see one panel that I sort of stripped to see whats under all that white paint - douglas fir).

Then there's that weird window thing. I cant tell if its original or not. Other houses in the neighborhood have solid walls in that position, which it might have been, but some wood trim doesn't jive with that (there are miters cut in places that would have been impossible to retrofit into.) It's negotiable in the whole scheme of things.

Then there's that acutely angled hand rail - that's a mess and I need to change that and add balusters. I think, but I cant confirm, that that newel post was moved out from the "wall"about 6 inches. All of the newels in the house hang over from one stair to the next, below (not sure what the right term is for that) but that one doesn't.

I thought of ripping out an angled part of the wall and putting in a regular angled balustrade/handrail from the landing toward the second floor. I also thought of closing in the whole wall (that's not a really "pretty" option). At one time I was going to straighten out the acutely angled handrail and install a stained glass window in that rectangular opening.

There is an all original, and very attractive balustrade from the second floor to the third that I could mimic (to do that I'd need to find a 15 x 2 hunk of douglas fir. fat chance I could find or afford that.) The "post" has to stay - its load bearing.

FYI, where that mirror is was originally more landing and a back stairs into the back hallway. It was closed in and the stairs removed in 1952 to make a powder room.

So what would you guys do with this ?

Comments (25)