SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoriajane_gw

Please help advise - interior paint colors 1895 victorian

victoriajane
15 years ago

We are in the midst of a renovation on our 1895 house. Here is a shot of the front of the house (yellow is new paint color but paint job is only partially complete - needs a few more coats and burgundy accent will be changed to black):

The kitchen, at the back of the house, will be brand new but designed in a vintage style, with white cabinets, soapstone counters, dark wood floors, and gray walls. The other rooms are just being updated with new electrical, paint, repairing the woodwork and refinishing the oak floors (they will remain dark as well.) There are basically four front rooms that need to be painted: the entrance room :

the front parlor (note this is the only room where the trim is painted white rather than stained chestnut - it will remain white):

the dining room (now a dark red color)

and the living room - note this room presents a particular challenge because of that strange stained glass over the window. It is sort of a mauve color (which clearly did not work with the yellow/gold wall color!):

For inspiration, I am looking to our stained glass window on the front staircase landing:

As you can see by the the rooms' current state, we are not afraid of bold or deep colors. However, we did those rooms piecemeal over 12 years with no thought of complimentary tones...while I am fine with each room being a different color, I would like them to harmonize a bit more than they do now. I do feel that I've gone completely neutral on the kitchen and so it would work with anything. Also, the kitchen is completely separate from the rest of the house; only opening to the living room and dining room with a single swinging door each. And I have to find something that will work with that mauve window! I love jewel tones with an old house and dark woodwork, but am willing to listen to reason if someone has a recommendation for more neutral colors. The painters want to get started soon and I have to get over to the BM dealer and choose asap. So please tell me: what would you do with these 4 rooms??? And one final question: in the past we've painted the ceiling and the wall area above the picture rail the same color. Is that correct, or should the wall above the picture rail be the same color as the wall below? Thanks!

Comments (8)