SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arabellamiller

Buffalo wings for a herd of boys?

arabellamiller
13 years ago

Young D has is having a pre back to school sleepover this week and has requested wings. Medium spicy. Any dairy free recipes for me? And what can I use for a dipping sauce that is non dairy?

I'm going to have loads of raw veggies on hand, and sliced fruit as well. They have also requested cornbread, brownies and pie.

If the weather allows, we will project a movie on the back of the house and have popcorn, of course!

I'm looking forward to seeing your wings recipes, thanks!

AM

Comments (27)

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

Here is a link to a recipe for dairy free ranch dressing which you could use as a dip. I have used a similar recipe for a salad I made for a party that was dairy free.

I'm sure there are a few here that have a dairy free wing recipe.

Good luck.

Teresa

• lindac
    13 years ago

This isn't technically "buffalo" but it's a very good hot wing recipe.
    Raspberry Wings
    1-1/2 c seedless raspberry jam
    1/3 c balsamic vinegar
    3 T soy sauce
    1-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
    1 pkg (5 lb) frozen chicken wings, thawed
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil. In a small saucepan, combine all the ingredients, except the wings, over medium heat, stirring until smooth. In a large bowl, toss
    the wings with half of the jam mixture. Place on the baking sheets and
    bake for 50 minutes. Turn the wings and brush with the remaining jam
    mixture. Bake for 8 to 10 more minutes, or until no pink remains in the
    chicken and the sauce glazes the wings. Serve immediately.

And I would make a dipping sauce of dairy free sour cream...just add that powdered Ranch dressing mix to taste.

Have fun with all those boys!!
    Linda c

• Related Discussions

Courting Woodcocks

Q

Comments (4)
    That would be so cool to watch the aerial show from one's porch! We just returned from hiking to the top of the mnt and coming back down in the dark (I wore my headlamp, but DB forgot his). This time the sky was clear so the Woodcocks started later. Beautiful sunset, and then the beeping started. As far as we could tell, there was only one male displaying this evening but he did his flight right over us and landed about 20 feet in front of us to beep. I could just barely see him mating with a female, but we certainly heard them. They are so cute the way they glide around on the ground, holding their bodies still while their feet are a blur, making them seem to float. Their feathers make the twittering sound as they spiral upward (as I mentioned in my first post), but they make the chirping sound with their voices as they descend. The stars came out while we were watching the Woodcocks mate, so when the show abruptly ended we were surprised to look up and see the sky crammed with stars, including Mars almost overhead in Gemini, the Twins. We also saw 2 meteors so we might have an early Lyrids Meteor Shower show, or late Y-Normids. DuBois set up the screen tent by the horse pasture now that the rain has stopped so we should have a great view tonight..hopefully hear some owls, too!
    ...See More

Please Put Your Thinking Caps On...

Q

Comments (22)
    I have a couple of friends who do the 'show me a piano and we'll do a sing along" thing... I might add "The Trolly song" "A guy is a Guy" "Are you sincere" "The Thing"...( Phil Harris...get out of here with that * bump de dump*) Good Morning Star Shine Yes sir That's my Baby Heart of my Hearts...I love that melody.. Cool Water Mule Train High Noon (speaking of Frankie Laine!) Matilda Peg O' my Heart Guantanamera See Ya later Alligator Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polkadot....etc And there are great "Country" sing along soneg...such as "I walk the line" and "Momma Don;t Your Sons grow up to be Cowboys"" And "Ruby don't tale your Love to Town" And of course "Daddy sang bass and Momma sang Tenor..." And a few that are not fit for polite company!! LOL!...Something about "clover"??? Linda C
    ...See More

OK, Add Your Own!

Q

Comments (24)
    Michael, glad I wasn't your mother - she must have gone through many lifetimes worrying about you!! I hear that's the stuff boys do. My sister had 2 but I only had one girl. She keeps telling me that the Good Lord must have known what he was doing when He gave her boys. I watched what she went through and OMG, I'm not sure I could have done it! My nephews, and my cousings (3 boys) all were pretty much like you. They've calmed down now and have families of their own. Wasn't sure the younger one was going to live olong enough to have a family!! They were alwasy good kids though - just mischievous. I'm REALLY getting some good laughs with these posts!!
    ...See More

Boy, they start early don't they?

Q

Comments (27)
    Well, I think it's adorable and too funny! I love the grin he's got behind that sticker. And it doesn't matter about "values" (and I know you are teaching him great ones) ALL boys/men have a thing for hooters. It's genetic! lol I remember finding my Hanes/Bali catalog (the one with all the bras) in my boys bedroom when they were about 5 and 7. Yep, it's just ingrained into them! Great pic, Steph.
    ...See More
  • caliloo
    13 years ago

These are my favorite way to make wings, I usually make them for Sunday Football Open House weekends, and there are NEVER leftovers. Made this way they dont even need a dipping sauce IMO. BTW - I often sub different brands of sauce depending on my mood.

Alexa

Larry's Caldwell Cafe Hot Wings
    Recipe courtesy Young ChefÂs Cookbook 2000

2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    40 to 50 chicken wings, third joint removed
    Sauce, recipe follows
    Nonstick cooking spray
    Combine flour, salt, pepper and red pepper in a plastic, sealable bag. Shake the wings 6 at a time until well coated. Shake off excess flour and place on a baking pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake in a preheated 425 degree F oven for 35 minutes.When chicken has cooked for 35 minutes, remove from oven and brush sauce generously over wings. Return to oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and turn wings. Brush with sauce and return to oven for 5 minutes. Serve with remaining sauce.
    Sauce:
    1 bottle (18-ounces) World Harbors Afterglow Hot Zings Sauce & Marinade
    1 jar (13-ounces) NanceÂs Chicken Wing Sauce
    1/2 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 stick butter
    1/2 cup hot pepper sauce, optional
    Combine all ingredients in saucepan over medium heat and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until thickened, about 20 to 30 minutes. This amount of sauce is enough for 40 to 50 chicken wings.
    Yield: 10 appetizer servings
    Prep Time: 30 minutes
    Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes

• jimster
    13 years ago

The coating originally used at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, and still the best IMO, was very simple. It is a mixture of Frank's Hot Sauce and melted margarine. The proportions are 50/50 for what is considered medium in Western New York. The wings are deep fried then tossed in a large bowl with enough of this sauce to coat them well. At home, it is easier to oven bake the wings rather than deep fry them, and that is OK.

Recipes with additional ingredients are suspect to. What is the sense of adding 1/2 tsp. of cayenne, for example, when chile pepper is a main ingredient of Frank's Hot Sauce? In WNY restaurants, degrees of heat are attained by changing the proportion of margarine to hot sauce. And why add white vinegar to the recipe? That also is an ingredient of Frank's hot sauce. Anything other than Frank's hot sauce and margarine is superfluous and results in something other than Buffalo wings.

Jim

• skeip
    13 years ago

This is a classic version that is not deepfried:

BUFFALO WINGS

24 Whole Chicken Wings
    2 Envelopes Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
    1/4 Cup All-purpose Flour
    1/3 Cup Margarine, melted
    1 12-0unce Bottle Durkee's Hot Pepper Sauce
    1/4 Cup White Vinegar, more or less to taste
    Paprika

Preheat oven to 450F degrees. In a large bowl, combine Flour and Salad Dressing mix, set aside. In a separate bowl, combine Margarine, Vinegar, and Hot Pepper Sauce, set aside. Cut each individual wing into its three natural sections. Dredge the wing parts in the Salad Dressing Mixture, and then in the Hot Pepper Mixture. Arrange on a baking pan, and sprinkle generously with Paprika. Bake 20-25 minutes, turn, sprinkle again with Paprika, and bake at 450F degrees until browned, about 20-25 minutes. Serve hot. Makes 72 appetizer servings.

And this is an adult version that is really delicious:

THAI WINGS

For the Marinade:
    1 Cup Soy Sauce
    ½ Cup Vinegar
    3 Tablespoons Toasted Sesame Oil
    ½ Cup Honey
    ½ Cup Brown Sugar
    2 Teaspoons Minced Ginger
    Juice and Zest of one Lime
    2 tablespoons Thai Garlic Chili Sauce
    2 Scallions, thinly sliced
    3 Cloves Garlic, minced
    Freshly Ground Pepper, to taste

3# Chicken Wings

Combine all ingredients except Chicken Wings in a bowl, tasting to get the balance that you like. Place Chicken Wings in a zip top bag and pour in the Marinade. Squeeze out all the air and mush the Wings around so they are covered in the Marinade. Place the bag in a bowl and put in the refrigerator for as long as 24 hours.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Shake off most of the marinade and place wings on a baking sheet covered with a nonstick mat or parchment paper. Place the marinade in a saucepan and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until sauce is slightly thickened. This is now your basting / dipping sauce. Bake the wings for 20 minutes, flip and baste. Bake another 20 minutes and check for doneness. Baste and bake an additional 20 minutes if necessary.

¼ Cup Peanut Butter
    1 Lime
    ¼ Cup finely chopped Cilantro

Just before serving wisk the Peanut Butter into the Dipping Sauce, add the Juice and Zest of half a Lime. Place Wings on a serving plate and sprinkle with the Cilantro.

Steve

• User
    13 years ago

Is margarine considered dairy AM? I know you are looking for dairy free.

Shaun posted a recipe a while back and I just love it. Not too hot but for sure a kick. Unfortunately I don't have it here with me. It's a dry mix that you toss and bake. I serve with just plain old Louisiana Hot sauce for dipping or you could toss them in the hot sauce after baking.

Shaun, if you see this can you port your recipe.

• shaun
    13 years ago

Ok, hang on.........

• shaun
    13 years ago

Breading Ingredients:
    1/3 c salt
    1/3 c paprika
    1/3 c cayenne pepper (or less according to how hot you like them)
    2 c flour

Chicken Wings
    Pat wings dry. Shake in breading mixture.
    Spray cookie sheet w/Pam, put chicken on, spray chicken w/Pam
    Bake 375 - 40 mins flipping over half way thru.

• pat_t
    13 years ago

I know Sandra Lee isn't a favorite around here, but I made these wings a while back and they were pretty tasty:

HOT AND STICKY WINGS
    3 lbs. chicken wings
    1 (18 oz.) jar apricot-pineapple preserves
    1 (1.25 oz.) packet chipotle taco seasoning
    1/4 cup ketchup
    1 jalapeno, finely diced (seeds discarded)

Turn on broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; set aside. Rinse wings with cold water and pat dry with paper towels. Place wings on baking sheet skin-side up. Broil wings for 8 to 10 minutes while preparing sauce. NOTE: this step can be omitted, but produces a better tasting wing.
    Place wings in the crock of 4-quart slow cooker. In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients and stir well. Pour over wings and stir to coat. Place lid on slow cooker and cook on high setting for 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours.
    From http://www.foodnetwork.com. Show: Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee. Episode: Simply Greek.

• Bizzo
    13 years ago

I don't have any wing recipes but you asked for non-dairy dipping sauces, and I have some thoughts... might depend on which wing recipe you use, though...

Mustard - whole grain and/or honey dijon
    Dumpling sauce - soy, rice wine vinegar, ginger, garlic and chopped green onion
    Barbecue sauce
    ketchup and curry powder
    The soft tofu ranch with hidden valley ranch packet (which I think is dairy free...) or herbs and spices

• User
    13 years ago

Thanks Shaun....this has become my favourite wings recipe.

Should note this makes a ton of coating....enough for pounds and pounds of wings. I make it, then take what I need and shake the wings in a plastic bag with the mix so as not to contaminate the rest.

Great recipe !

• shaun
    13 years ago

I do the same thing! Glad you like the recipe.

• John Liu
    13 years ago

I stick close to the original buffalo wing as created at the Anchor Bar.

Dejoint wings. Score skin a couple times per wing. Steam wings for 30 min to render some of the fat. Pat dry and roast in oven for about 30 min until skin is crisp. Place in large bowl and toss, while still very hot, in melted butter, hot sauce, salt, pepper. Serve immediately, if not then spread out on sheet so that the skin stays reasonably crisp. Tasty, don't need dipping sauce, and is not a lot of work.

A natural companion to buffalo wings is ribs. If we were roasting a chicken we'd want big ol' ribs. Since we're doing finger food, I'd say short ribs. I usually do a Korean BBQ style broiled ribs alongside the wings. Then a few six packs of brew and you're set. Oh, right, these are little boys. Well, some Coke in real glass bottles, iced and sweating, or maybe an Italian soda or two.

Sounds like a cool party!

• arabellamiller
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the great advice. These "little" boys are 12/13 and I'm afraid to see how many wings they're going to pack away! Ribs might be a little pricey for me, so I'm going to grill up some hot dogs as well.
    I'm heading to the kosher butcher tomorrow to get the chicken, so I'll see what kind of dairy free sauces they have that are pre-made. A ranch packet would be perfect.
    Chase, some margarine is non dairy, and some is dairy, you just have to look for the "parve" on the package.

Thanks for your help! Now I just have to pick some appropriate movies.

AM

• stacy3
    13 years ago

Hi AM - everyone has come to love my wings around here - and I par boil them so they don't take so long - but then I throw some spices on them - (S, P, EVOO, and celery seed) and throw them on a hot grill) You can cook alot at once and just kind of toss them around with a big spatula as they get kind of crispy. When they come off, you can toss them with some Sriracha, or Franks or chili flakes or whatever sauce you like! Wonderful!

And I totally recommend The Goonies or Stand By Me for a batch of boys that age...:-) We just watched the goonies at our own outdoor movie last weekend - it's a forever fave. No matter the age.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Arabella...I have 6 grandsons, and 3 are pretty much the same age....and I will tell you they can eat a LOT of wings.
    I would plan four 2 joint wings per kid....and a few for the pot!

• empress
    13 years ago

Loving all these wings recipes and dip ideas--copying and pasting.

Have a suggestion for a movie--The Sandlot. It's from 1993 and I love it every time I see it.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Empress, I loved the SanLot too, it was one of Ashley's favorite movies, I'll have to watch it with The Princess and Bruvver, so thanks for the reminder.

I don't do wings very much because I don't like chicken skin, but I love Ann T's lemon grilled wings, I just use other chicken parts, LOL.

This post is a quote from Ann T, I think from 2006!

"My favourite are Lemon, Black Pepper and sea salt. Just mix the wings with some grated lemon zest, a minced garlic clove, lots of fresh ground black pepper, sea salt and a little olive oil. Spread them out on a cookie sheet and bake at 400°F until done. I usually turn them once. Also, line the cookie sheet with the non stick reynolds wrap for easy clean up.

If you like them spicy, add a little cayenne pepper. Ann"

Oh, and be sure to have LOTS of fun. Of course you will...

Annie

• arabellamiller
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all, the night was very fun. I made the wings in the easiest way possible - doused with salt, cayenne pepper, paprika and flour and baked until done and crispy, then coated them with Sriracha since that was what I had on hand. (so thanks for the suggestions, I was very happy to to have to buy any additional ingredients!)

We used a non-dairy ranch dip from the kosher market, along with ketchup for dipping. There were tons of fresh veggies, cornbread, hot dogs, and for dessert chocolate chip cookies and popsicles.

The boys had popcorn and edamame while they watched the movies. I had just gotten a TON of edamame from my CSA box, so that was perfect timing.

Those boys can pack it away! 8 kids (5 of them 12 yo boys) went through about 50 wings, 6 hot dogs and tons of carrot and celery sticks. The edamame was a big hit as well. One kid ate about 3 whole pods before the others showed him how to pop out the beans!

And for the movies - we started with "Indiana Jones", then after the younger siblings went to bed - "Slapshot". I was shocked at how great the picture and sound were considering we were projecting on to the back of our house. The kids sad in chairs and on blankets and we had a fire pit going in the back, although it was quite warm.

So, again, thanks to everyone. I always appreciate your help!

AM

• Bizzo
    13 years ago

Sounds like a lot of fun!
    thanks for the follow-up AM ;-)

Out of curiousity, what's in the non-dairy ranch?

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

The evening sounds absolutely perfect!

Out of curiosity, where does one find Frank's hot sauce? It is a regional item? I don't recall seeing it here though that means nothing.

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

Frank's Wing Sauce is even better. It tastes like the hot sauce but it is a little bit thicker and clings to food better.

It is sold pretty much everywhere. If you can't find it Eileen I will mail you some!

Teresa

• User
    13 years ago

I think...but I may be wrong... that Durkees is the same as Franks...which I agree is a wonderful hot sauce and perfect for wings,

• annie1992
    13 years ago

AM, that sounds like a ball to me, I'd have had more fn than the kids, I think.

Eileen, Frank's Hot Sauce is all over here, now they have a sweet chili sauce too that I really like. Elery says Frank's isn't really "hot" sauce, LOL, but I disagree.

How hot do you like your sauce? Frank's is relatively mild, I guess...

Annie

• compumom
    13 years ago

Eileen, I know that we have Frank's here in L.A. so I imagine it should also be available up in Modesto.

AM--What a fun party! You were very brave!

• arabellamiller
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bizzo - it was a dry packet of ranch. Loads of sodium (yuck), but I used much less than the packed called for and mixed it with a tofu based "yogurt". It wasn't very good, but it worked fine as a dip for the wings.

Those boys eat so quickly, I'm not sure they even taste the food. I'm pretty sure I could have put out cardboard, salted well, and they would have sucked it down.

Thanks Ellen - I was feeling pretty brave that night! There was so much popcorn left in the grass, every animal for miles was in my yard overnight. It looked like a flipping Disney movie out there!

We'll try and do this at least once more before it becomes too cold. It was really fun, but even a small gathering like this is a lot of work for me.

AM

• jimster
    13 years ago

I hope this doesn't just add more confusion to a confusing issue but let me take a crack at explaining the Durkee's, Frank's, hot sauce, wings sauce thing.

Durkee's and Frank's Red Hot Sauce is a hot pepper sauce, similar to Texas Pete's, Louisiana Hot Sauce, etc. It's basic ingredients are cayenne pepper and vinegar. Generally you sprinkle it on food to spice it up. It has two names because Durkee's acquired Frank's several years ago. I have usually seen both names on the label but I'm not sure that is consistently done. Confusing.

Buffalo wings were invented at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY. The recipe was simple -- coat fried chicken wings by tossing them in a bowl with a mixture of Frank's Hot Sauce (Durkee's) and melted margarine. That recipe was printed on the Frank's Hot Sauce label for years. It still is, so far as I know. I haven't looked lately.

A few years ago, Frank's (Durkee's) introduced a new product and they have been promoting it heavily. It is called Frank's Red Hot WIngs Sauce. It is Frank's Hot Sauce with vegetable oil added. Saves you the trouble of mixing two ingredients. :-) Frank's Wings Sauce is not the same as Frank's Hot Sauce. Frank's Wing Sauce is MADE FROM Frank's Hot Sauce. For sprinkling on your food or MAKING wing sauce, you want Frank's Red Hot Sauce. For ready to use Buffalo Wings coating, you want Frank's Wing Sauce. Confused yet?

Frank's (Durkee's) now sells at least six related but different products, all packaged in that familiar looking bottle with similarly designed labels. Now that's confusing.

What about the blue cheese dip customarily served with celery sticks alongside Buffalo wings, you ask? I don't even want to talk about it. Too confusing. Do whatever you want. Just understand it has nothing to do with cooking the wings.

Jim