SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liriodendron_gw

Using induction burners during canning

liriodendron
12 years ago

I am mulling moving from my 48" all gas beastie to some combo of induction and gas.

I occasionally use my portable induction unit as an adjunct (keeping lids hot, for the extra stockpot of tomatoe juice to add to diced tomatoes, etc.) but rely on my gas cooktop for the main events.

Of course all-aluminum pressure canners won't work on an induction top. Has anybody any experience using a heat transfer plate under one of them. Does it mess up the timing, or make it difficult to maintain perfect, on-target, pressure?

Even my BWB pots are mostly enamel on steel with those concentric rings on the bottom, so they wouldn't work on induction. I could replace them (at considerable expense) with magnetic/ferrous stockpots.

Has anybody any experience integrating induction into a home canning kitchen, other than as I am now using it, as an extra hot top?

I suppose I could go the otherway and buy portable or modular high-BTU rings for under the canners and use induction for the rest of the tasks.

Anyway, any expericiences you have would be very useful to me as I plan my next kitchen re-arrangement.

As an aside, I am w/o a canning kitchen this year and missing it like crazy. Most years about this time it looks like an endless stream of hot days to come!

TIA,

L

Comments (6)