SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steelmagnolia_gw

Warming Drawers 101

steelmagnolia
13 years ago

Yesterday I called a good friend who frequently has large parties to ask for advice about the wedding brunch I'm planning. To my surprise (and total delight!), she insisted I borrow some warming drawers she recently got from a caterer who went out of business.

It's a fairly large commercial unit -- 3 drawers in a stack, all housed in one big metal case, but each drawer has individual controls. She couldn't tell me much about it because she's only used it once and not for the same type food. I was hoping some of you could help educate me!

First of all, to recap the dishes we'll need to serve warm or hot -- egg casseroles, ham rolls, grits, hash brown casseroles, spinach squares (basically a crustless quiche) and muffins.

One big question is how more 'delicate' things like eggs hold up in a warming drawer. Do they get tough? Should I allocate more oven space for egg dishes, serving them more or less immediately, and stick stuff like hash browns in the drawers? And how does bread do? Or does it totally depend on the type of bread?

What about the time element? For instance, maybe you've found that muffins do fine in a warmer, but only if they're not left more than 30 minutes.

Are there things on the list that should be slightly undercooked if they're going to sit in a warming drawer for awhile? Does bread need to be wrapped like you do before zapping in a microwave?

I probably haven't even asked the right questions, but here's hoping somebody will have all the right answers!

Thanks --

sm

Comments (7)