SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Tomatomatomatomatoes ------(pics, pics,pics,pics---)

After giving away plenty, still more to cook/eat and the season is just starting.

Yes, I have had many BLTs, soups, salsa --------.

Feel free to post your creations here.

dcarch

Everyday------

{{gwi:1552697}}

Black Cherry is a very nice cherry tomato. Unique flavor.

Only half of the Sun Gold pizza remaining

Carmello, very sweet, balances somewhat bitter home-grown squash sprouts.

Tomatoes and eggs pair well. With cream of corn and black garlic sauce.

Comments (30)

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

You have done it once again! Beautiful presentation of common produce.

• teresa_nc7
    11 years ago

I think you should paint a "still life with tomatoes" before the season is gone. That first platter is just beautiful.

I've had the black cherry tomatoes - they are delicious.

Teresa

• Related Discussions

Missouri Botanical Garden Visit (pics pics pics)

Q

Comments (1)
    I was there in August and surprised myself with all the photos I took of bark features. The gardens are celebrating their 150th anniversary next year. Those metasequoias were planted shortly after WW II, and are truly majestic. Nearby is a zelkova with wonderful fluted trunk taper. I noted a parrotia that was peeling and flaking, and several maples, not just paperbark, with beautiful bark. Guess i need to go back after leaf fall and take more pics. Truly a world class garden. brian
    ...See More

Some FFO today! :) pics pics pics

Q

Comments (11)
    waitingforspring - I think you are right that my NOID is Fairy Tale Pink. Wow! And I've had this 2 years and I ordered FTP last year and it will bloom for me this year so I can compare them to each other. I can't believe I ordered something I already have.
    ...See More

Leaf Problems.??? Pics.

Q

Comments (1)
    I would have to say you just do not know what you are doing.LOL I reckon it may be a disease as the damage appears worse on the leaf veines (vanes). But I dont even know how to spell the thick bits of a leaf.
    ...See More

You Say Tomahto, I Say Tomatomatomatomato

Q

Comments (17)
    Dcarch, I hope my DH's comment didn't sound snarky. It was NOT meant that way. As I said in an earlier entry in this thread, you more than anyone have taught me to "play with my food," to arrange and present in the most dramatic and visually satisfying way I can. Great taste and great presentation please so many senses. Now if we could just teach our meals to sing--or at least hum. Then we'd hit still another sense. I must say I think some of your platings do a sub-aural thrum of enticement. I hope you never quit posting your cooking. You are one of the highlights of this forum.
    ...See More
  • ynnej
    11 years ago

Your creations are always amazing. Are those watermelon balls in the first pic? I've never had black cherry tomatoes. Will have to try soon.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    11 years ago

Just had our tomato festival this weekend. I wish there had been food creations. Bunches of lemonade, but no tarts, pizzas, eggs and pizza. Nothing. Good art though. Well, both theirs and your art. Nice!

Here is a link that might be useful: Nashville's Tomato Art Festival-events

• lbpod
    11 years ago

Dcarch, your best presentation, and photography EVER.
    I salute you, My Son.

• greginnd
    11 years ago

I love the sunflower!

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone. This is going to be a very good year for tomatoes in my zone (NYC, Zone 6). I wish things were different for you folks in drought areas.

Jenny, those are watermelon balls. It's a great way to enjoy the part of the melon that is not too sweet near the rind. Black Cherry is easy to grow. Very tasty and dramatic in a salad.

dcarch

Original Author
    11 years ago

Got home late. Didn't feel like cooking.

Plugged a couple of maters from the vine and sliced some mozzarella cheese and called it dinner.

dcarch

• annie1992
    11 years ago

I finally ate the first "white" tomato today. It was magnificent.

We got a hard rain yesterday and many of my tomatoes have cracked but I got enough ripe ones to can salsa tomorrow. I will definitely have Sol's tomato pie in the very near future.

so that looks like maybe Golden Jubilee, some SunGold or SunSugar, and maybe an Aunt Ruby's?

Annie

Original Author
    11 years ago

Annie, I am growing Great White, a very lovely delicious big white tomato.

The green one is Green Giant, I grew Aunt Ruby's last season.

The orange one is Tangerine.

dcarch

• annie1992
    11 years ago

dcarch, I believe that's what I have. It was simply labelled "white" when I bought the plant from the 4H last year, and Mother saved the seeds, so I grew them this year from those seeds. Since they came back true to type, they aren't a hybrid and all pictures and descriptions point to them being "Great White". Mother says it's the best tomato she's ever eaten.

I've never grown Tangerine, do you like it? I did plant "Pineapple" this year, but the rabbits managed to kill them all. I replanted and the second planting went the way of the first. I was disappointed, I looked forward to trying them.

Today I took all the mixed up tomatoes I had, Mortgage Lifter, Golden Jubilee, White, Rutgers and a couple of unidentified Roma types that I don't remember planting LOL. I made salsa:

{{gwi:1552706}}

The tomatoes this year have been slow to ripen but it's the jalapenos that are really confusing me. I tasted one today while making salsa. They taste like a green bell pepper, no heat at all. And I'm a wuss, so I'd have noticed. The salsa ended up with three cayenne and a habanero instead.

Annie

• lbpod
    11 years ago

I have never had a tomato that was any color but red,
    (except for the Sungold Cherry). I know it's a mental
    thing, but to me, a tomato has to be red. It's kinda
    like putting some blue food color in a glass of milk.. .
    it just doesn't taste like milk.

• Country Sunflower
    11 years ago

Wow,, what knockout photos.... We were buried in tomatos this year... and can can can.. pasta sauce, juice and soup.. Neither of us like Salsa much, so none of that...
    DChard, you are positively an artist with food.. love it..

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

I am a teeny bit jealous of those beautiful tomatoes and tomato products! I traveled much of the summer and my tomatoes did not fare too well in the garden without me. I have picked about 10 lbs, but the plants have been hit with late blight so the season is over now. Enjoy your tomatoes, folks!

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

canning tomatoes tomorrow. got from local grower. next year- hope to have a garden.

• october17
    11 years ago

You really have a way with tomatoes! Lovely to look at. Sure makes me want to eat them.

I grew the pineapples last year. Very good flavor and beautiful to look at. Couldn't find them this year. Growing Russo's this year. Very flavorful low acid tomato. Funny shaped too. Look like flowers when you slice them. I'd love to see you do some artwork with them! Send me your address and when I have some more ripening, I'll ship them to you!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you everyone.

Annie, Tangerine is not the best tasting, but still delicious. I also have Green Pineapple this year.
    --------------------------
    This is a very interesting dish. Very enjoyable.

Tofu tomato salad with cheese dressing. Give it a try, you will be surprised.

Tofu is cooked and chilled.

dcarch

• lbpod
    11 years ago

Dcarch, I've never had tofu, but in your picture it
    sure looks like American Cheese. And the generous
    topping of ranch dressing makes it look especialy
    scrumptious. I want some.

Original Author
    11 years ago

lbpod, tofu is an aquired taste. It may take you a few tries to get to like it. It's enjoyed by billions worldwide. Those who enjoy tofu also enjoy good health.

Made tomato ice cream with crispy tomato chips.

dcarch

• mar53
    11 years ago

Every one of these tomato recipes from yesterday's paper look pretty darn good to me.
    Dcarch, I love your photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: summer surplus

• loagiehoagie
    11 years ago

You folks are killing me! I usually have bushels by now.....my tomatoes are just starting to ripen. I've had 4 or 5 so far.....on about 30 plants! My worst year ever (so far!). The way the wacky weather has been I might be picking some for Thanksgiving dinner!
    Duane

• triciae
    11 years ago

Made another batch of salsa this morning. Except for the lime, everything's from our little garden. The green onions are huge. I took the root ends of some I'd purchased at the farmer's market & planted them a few weeks ago and this is what I got...jumbo-sized green onions. Oh well, I just take my knife and run in length wise down the green part 2-3 times before cross-slicing. They're pretty strong but that's okay, I like green onions. :) We've been eating a batch of salsa/day.

I really like the 'Green Zebra' striped tomatoes. If anybody has trouble growing tomatillos these heirloom toms are a more than satisfactory substitute, IMO. Obviously, it won't taste quite the same but still darn good over chicken enchiladas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Zebra

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks mar53.

Sorry to hear about you tomatoes, Duane. I am overwhelmed with mine.

Tricia, I have grown Green Zebra, but in my area they alway have BER.

dcarch
    {{gwi:1552711}}

Tomato Seafood Salad (Sous Vide Sea Scallops, Chilean Sea Bass)

• triciae
    11 years ago

dcarch,

The sea bass and scallops look delicious! I'd enjoy having that for dinner. I love the summer when DH is fishing frequently. DH and his buddies' tuna trip is scheduled for Sept. 9 this year. They'll go a couple hundred miles past Montauk. Boat is being readied now.

What is that red/yellow striped tomato - is it Berkeley Tie Dye? If so, we've got lots of those this year. Beautiful and delicious. We will definitely plant them again next year.

About the BER on Green Zebra - have you tried liming in late winter? This year's weather has been so unusual. Normally we get pretty consistent rainfall but this has been a boom or bust season, dry in the early part of summer and torrential tropical downpours every 8-10 days since the end of July. Our locations are so close geographicaly but Mystic's weather pattern is much different because of our location at the entrance to LIS. There's a permanent "stable air" mass overhead - fun to watch on radar, rain will seem to be overspreading all of NYC, LI, SECT and when it gets to the Mystic River just disappates...poof, gone. Yet, we still get about 55-58" annually. It's those ocean storms that nail us.

Anyway, my guess is this year at least it's the very uneven rainfall that's led to BER for your Green Zebras.

/tricia

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Tricia. That tomato is one of my favorite, Old German, sweet, meaty, and big!

I have tried everything with my Green Zebra, it just didn�t like my garden. I call it Green Ze-blaaaaaah! :-)

If you think Old German is pretty, check out this one. I am not sure what it is, it is a volunteer. Sweet, productive and good size. I am saving seeds.

My BLT, bread-less.

dcarch

• annie1992
    11 years ago

dcarch, that's one beautiful tomato.

Duane, you and me both. I have a zillion green tomatoes but few are ripening and it's nearly September. I may be using a lot of green tomato recipes at this rate. (sigh)

On the upside, my tomatillos are doing wonderfully, I have a lot of empty "balloons" and many more that are actually starting to fill up. I'm excited, I've only grown tomatillos once before and they didn't do very well. It was one of those short/cold summers and they didn't like it.

On the downside, I think the artichokes are dead. I had to go to Ohio for a week and they didn't get watered. I'm not sure I can rescue them.

Annie

Original Author
    11 years ago

I had posted my method for making crispy tomato/fruit leather sometime ago. With the over supply of tomatoes, I am making crispy tomato leather and powder.

I have a new easy method of removing tomato seeds and skin for the leather, pure uncooked tomato juice/pulp.

dcarch

Just for fun, four Nightshades cooked together, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Eggplants and Pepper

Sweet Sun Gold crispy sheets, taste like candy

Green (GWR) tomato sheet with herbs

Tomato goodness turned into crispy sheets

Wonderful tomato powder made from crispy sheets

• OklaMoni
    11 years ago

Your pictures always make my mouth water!!! no matter what time of day or night.

Thanks again, for such a wonderful collection of pictures.

Moni

• lbpod
    11 years ago

Last year I grew 'Ground Cherry' tomatoes, I 'think'
    they are a tomato. Anywhoo, talk about sweet....
    but they are tiny.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Posted by lbpod "Last year I grew 'Ground Cherry' tomatoes, I 'think' they are a tomato. Anywhoo, talk about sweet....
    but they are tiny. "

I think they are not tomatoes, but they are in the tomato family.

Taste pretty good.

dcarch