SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annkh_nd

So, I did the math

annkh_nd
11 years ago

I knew that my kitchen remodel was going to vastly improve the storage space in my kitchen, but Holy Cow! I sat down tonight and did the math, and even I was astonished!

I am not touching a single wall, or changing the general layout of the kitchen. I am having custom cabinets built, to utilize space as efficiently as I can. I am replacing a small desk with cabinets above with a floor-to-ceiling pantry and desk area. I'm running the uppers to 8' instead of 7'. I'm lengthening both ends of the U by 8".

So I measured my current space (cheap builder grade cabinets). I have a total of 6 drawers, plus 5 more drawers in my small desk. 6 upper cabinets with 3 shelves each, plus one shelf each above the fridge and range. 4 shelves above the desk. 2 base lazy susans (3/4), one base cabinet with 1-1/2 shelves. A far too wide (48"!) sink cabinet.

Total existing horizontal surface:
drawers: 17.5 sq ft
uppers: 56 sq ft (including desk area)
base: 21.5 sq ft (not including sink base - I didn't include it in the new measurements either)

Grand Total 95 sq ft

In the new space, I add a shelf all the way around the kitchen, by going to the ceiling. I'm having pull-outs above the fridge, to better utilize that space. I'm putting a full lazy susan in one corner, and closing off the other. I'm putting L-shaped corner cupboards on top, instead of cavernous (and difficult to access) diagonal corner cupboards. Base cabinets will be drawers, except for a trash pull-out and narrow tray storage.

New horizontal surface:
drawers: 35 sq ft (not including deep base drawers)
base drawers: 16.5 sq ft
uppers: 84.9 sq ft
lazy susan: 7.4 sq ft

Grand Total: 175.7 sq ft

So, if anyone is counting... that's 80 square feet of storage surface that I didn't have before! I will definitely not miss the 8 sq ft I'm losing in a blind, inaccessible corner.

Comments (14)