SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shopperpicky

I forget the explanation to this math question

amicus
11 years ago

Fifty years ago, when learing multiplication, we were taught to visualize objects in place of the numerals, to make the concept easier, so 3x4 became 3 apples x 4 apples. We learned that every equation would equal the same result if reversed. I understood that, because I visualized, "If I start with 3 apples in a pile and multiply my piles to make 4 piles of 3 apples, I'll have 12 apples in total and I'll have the same total if I start with 4 apples in a pile and then multiply to make 3 piles of 4 apples.

But I could not rationalize that the same is true when using zero in an equation, such a 0x5 vs. 5x0. It was Christmas and we had a little tree in our classroom. I kept saying to my teacher, "I understand that if we have no red ornaments on our tree, and someone says they'll give you 5 times that many red ones to hang on it, we still won't have any red ones. But if we already have 5 red ornaments on it and someone says they'll give us zero times that many, why did the 5 we already have disappear?"

I remember being taught that "I always comes before E, except after C." Later we realized this rule is wrong because there are so many words that prove otherwise. I always thought that the rule stating that "multiplication equations always equal the same result when reversed" should say, "except when using zero." But not a single soul agrees with me, lol!

Because I know I am wrong, I realize that any number of apples (or whatever) multipled by no more, leaves you with none. But I just can't remember the explanation, after 50 years. Can anyone explain it to me in the most simplistic way so my non math brain can compute, lol?

Comments (14)