SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firstkim

Note From the Math Teacher (long)

firstkim
17 years ago

DS brought this home on the first day of school (9th grade). I've always been an English snob, and even though the rule of "use it or lose it" has caught up to me in the last few years, I still hate to see glaring examples of misuse, particularly from public educators. Since there are several current and former educators here, I'd be quite interested in your thoughts on the note, which I'll be copying verbatim below.

Classroom Rules:

1. Respect each other and their belongings.

You will be expected to use appropriate language and respect each other's opinions. No putdowns will be excepted in the classroom!

2. Be prepared for class.

This includes having your book, notebook, calculator, pencil, and your homework out when the bell rings. You will lose 3 points for ever day you are not prepared for class.

3. Ask permission to leave the room or your seat.

4. The teacher dismisses class.

5. Always try YOUR best!!!

Grading:

Students will be graded on a point system (Student's points/Total points possible).

1. Tests/Quizzes
  2. Class work
  3. Homework (3 points each)
  4. Notebook
  5. Projects

IF A STUDENT FAILS THE 3RD AND 4TH MARKING PERIOD AND THE FINAL, HE OR SHE AUTOMATICALLY FAILS FOR THE YEAR!!!!

Homework:

Homework will be assigned daily and checked frequently. Students will be expected to try their best on each assignment and complete the whole assignment for credit. Late work will be excepted for half credit.

Notebook:

Each student will be expected to keep an organized notebook. Notebooks should include class notes, homework, handouts and quizzes. Since most class notes will be typed handouts, a three ring notebook is recommended.

Make Up Work: Make up work is the students responsibility! Any work not made up will result in a zero.

Notes:

It is the student's responsibility to see me for the handouts that he/she may have missed. It is the student's responsibility to fill in the answers to the handouts.

Homework:

Students will be required to show me the previous homework assignment the day they return to class. Any student which is absent will be responsible for the material he or she missed. Unless arrangements were made with me, assignments which were assigned while the student was absent will have to be made up and shown to me within the same amount of days the student was absent.

Students may use e-mail to ask what assignment was assigned for the day, but it is not guaranteed the request will be seen the day it is sent.

Tests/Quizzes:

If a student is absent on the day of a test or quiz, he or she will be required to make up the test or quiz within two days of returning to school. Unless arrangements are made with the teacher, if a student is absent on conseutive days leading up to a test or quiz, he or she must make up the test or quiz within one six day cycle.

Projects:

If a student is absent the day a project is due, the student will have to hand in the in the project the day he or she returns to school.

Calculators:

Students will be allowed to use a scientific or graphics calculator for many assignments in class and for homework. It is recommended that each student has a scientific or graphing calculator. Scientific calculators can be purchased at many different stores for a price of $15 - $25. If you are considering purchasing a graphing calculator, I recommend the TI-84 or TI-83 plus calculator. These calculators cost around $100.

I did my best to proofread and correct my own typos and mistakes while leaving all his intact. Surely I'm not the only one who is disturbed to see this (lack of) quality in writing from a high school teacher, regardless of subject, am I?

Comments (25)

Sponsored
More Discussions