SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Seeking Good, comfortable low profile full-sized mattress

12 years ago

A couple of weeks ago I posted about squeezing a twin over full bunk bed into a small room. Despite some wonderful advice here, we will probably go ahead with the bunk bed. We tried the Room and board Riley bunk bed with their low profile mattress (6 inches) - and my daughter could easily sit up straight in it - with a few inches to spare. Apparently the mattress that had been in the bed when we first saw it was 11inches high.

Despite the crowding (and renters not loving a full bed), my daughter does love it - and we're certain about that. So my question is, are there recommendations or considerations for good, comfortable (probably not too firm - but not saggy) low profile mattresses. My daughter thought Room and board's mattress was comfortable enough - but I think she was so excited about the bed working that she was ready to agree to any mattress.

http://www.roomandboard.com/rnb/product/detail.do?productGroup=19275&catalog=room&category=rm_bedrooms&subcategory=mattress

But I know she's like a princess and the pea with mattresses. She does not like very firm - she wants to feel some softness. But she is also tends to feel too warm when sleeping - so memory foam might not be great (although we will put a plush mattress pad on the bed - and maybe that will help with some heat gain?). I think the Room and Board $399 mattress felt okay - but imagine it's fairly cheaply made and may not remain comfortable over time. If they are well made, we can always add a 1 inch memory foam topper for extra comfort. That's what my husband and I have done with pretty well-made, but too firm mattresses.

Ikea has some - and I wonder if they're any good. I also looked at Overstock - but I'm reluctant to buy something I can't try first.

Any recommendations or advice is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Lynn.

Comments (4)