SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

Smoked leg of lamb?

caliloo
11 years ago

Has anyone tried Smoked Leg of Lamb? A friend just returned from 2 weeks in Iceland and brought me a great little local cookbook. One of the recurring themes seems to be smoked meat (makes sense) but it seems the traditional Icelandic Christmas dinner is Smoked Lamb, Potatoes in White Sauce, Peas and "Leaf Bread".

Needless to say I will have to make the whole menu at some point (The Leaf Bread is particularly neat looking, will have to find the little roller to cut the traditional pattern, it looks like cutting by hand would be unbelievably time consuming) but what really intrigued me was the Smoked Lamb Leg.

I love lamb chops and have had more than a few fresh roasted or grilled legs of lamb that were sublime, but I have never thought to smoke one. With our annual "Smokefest" coming on Labor Day weekend, I am seriously thinking of adding it to the menu.

SO this is a roundabout way of asking if you have ever had Smoked Leg of Lamb. I googled it and there are a few suggestions (mostly Mesquite or Oak and add a few Rosemary branches at the end) but not a lot. I think it sounds wonderful and am really looking forward to trying it, but I would love advice from someone who has done it or eaten it. I particularly like the linked site that recommends marinating then dry rubbing.

THoughts are welcome!

Alexa

Here is a link that might be useful: Smoked Leg of Lamb with marinade and dry rub

Comments (9)