SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slateberry

sewing box cushions--how to make snug?

slateberry
15 years ago

I know there is some magic number to subtract from your cushion dimensions to make the fabric sit tightly on the cushions when you sew covers for them. I believe this is called negative ease. The question is, how much? I think it was -1" or -1/2" each way (L x W), but then, what about the gusset (D)? I think I just make that to size.

A few months ago when I THOUGHT I was going to sew covers for my porch furniture, I found this info. on the internet somewhere. Now I've done a lot of searches, but I'm coming up dry. OK, I did find one site that said to cut the material the same size of the cushion, i.e., no extra for seam allowances, and then the fabric would fit snugly. That would mean, for example, for a 24 x 24 cushion, the finished cover would be 22 3/4 x 22 3/4 (if the SA is 5/8")--does that sound right? And again, what about the gusset?

Anyone know this rule of thumb off the top of their head? And is it the same number as for square pillow covers (gotta make some of those too)

Actually the geek in me thinks it ought to be a percentage, not an absolute number, but I'll take any info. at this point :-)

I'm just nervous about doing this myself; I've done a lot of clothing and curtains, but I'm just starting out in upholstery and I don't want these cushions to look hokey after spending hours sewing the covers for them.

TIA

And, this link didn't answer my question, but it's the best tutorial for box cushions I've stumbled on in my searches:

Here is a link that might be useful: Box cushion tutorial

Comments (24)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone