SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bee0hio

Etiquette re: wigs

bee0hio
13 years ago

I am acquainted with a woman thru membership in a club. There is close to 100 women in the group, so she is one who I recognize as a member but don't know her well. She's probably in her 50's and has very, very thinning hair on top. Her hair has dwindled down to no more than a few wisps of hair across the her pate. I'm sure this is related to aging & genes, as opposed to chemo hair loss.

We both attended a workshop recently & at first I didn't recognize her. Then I realized that she was wearing a wig. It looked quite becoming & natural & overall she looked MUCH younger than before.

I think hair can be such a sensitive issue. I myself have thinning hair atop. I also have a really nice wig, but actually very rarely wear it. I get compliments when I do & I think it looks pretty natural. I am open when folks compliment me & tell them "it's a wig". That way they don't have to silently speculate, LOL.

With this lady, I had the urge to compliment her, but I stalled, thinking maybe she'd rather not have it acknowledged? I don't know if there is any etiquette involved in this type of thing? What do you think? Do any of you wear a wig? If so, how do you respond when people make a comment?

Comments (4)