SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abby_224_gw

Interior Designer Etiquette re: Change in Cabinet Supplier

abby_224
12 years ago

Background - we're building a new home. I'm brand new to the whole process and my in-laws, who've built a couple of houses, have been guiding me as we go along. Our architect designed a kitchen that I didn't like and in changing the layout on our own there were so many new decisions that had to be made which really overwhelmed me. (At the time I didn't realize a site like GardenWeb existed.) At that point I decided to bring in an interior designer to help me. Together we redesigned a much better layout and we're now at the point where she's helping us select all the materials.

Her first round of material selections included a laminate cabinet finish that I fell in love with, but it also came with a super high price tag (couldn't believe laminate cost this much). Not her fault since we didn't really have an idea of what the budget would be so she must've started at mid-level pricing. I asked her for a comparable finish at half the price which she found, but it wasn't quite the same. I looked around and found something very comparable to the original expensive cabinet AND it has better pricing. Now for my questions:

1.) Do I have to purchase the cabinet selections my interior designer suggested?

2.) I found another cabinet pattern I liked and it was cheaper based on a rough estimate - can I suggest this to her? What's protocol on how this should be handled with the interior designer in terms of cost? Should I have her negotiate a rate with the kitchen store and then she'll charge me her marked up price? I paid her a flat fee to come up with my revised drawings and then purchases from her include her markup.

3.) OR do I/can I just buy everything from her that she found for us, with the exception of the cabinets and buy directly myself?

I'm not sure how to handle the situation or how it all works. Any input would be very helpful. Thank you!!

Comments (7)