SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Some hand-me-downs that were in favor! 5 pics

caroline94535
15 years ago

Stacie...In my circle of friends, hand-me-downs/thrifting/FreeCycle items are still appreciated, too. My brother and SIL lost their home and everything in it to a house fire a couple weeks ago.

Thankfully, they do have a little insurance (not enough) and the community has generously helped. Everyone was already stretched to the limit with the bad storms, power outages, and more fires in northern Arkansas.

To help out, I was fortunate enough to be able to deck her out with all new under-pinning's, two pair of shoes, sleepwear, socks, a purse, etc. She used some donated money to get new under-roos, socks, shoes, etc. for DB, and didn't think about herself.

Then, to help dress their "outsides" I hit the local thrift store.

They were having their annual "All You Can Stuff in a Brown Bag for $4" sale. They don't know how tightly I can roll and stack clothing, especially when folks are desperate!

Here's just part of the clothing I managed to get for DB and DSIL...all for $12. Everything was in great condition. I'd be proud to wear any of these garments. DB and SIL were so happy to get them.

Below...The "Three Bags Full!"

Below...

Some of the items after washing and pressing. Two pairs of pants, Dockers and Ralph Lauren, for DB. For SIL, light-weight cords, heavy-weight cords, two pair of hardly-worn jeans. Two pull-overs for SIL, three for DB; one that either can wear.

Below...

More shirts for DB. These were "in the bags," too. The garments aren't faded. My point-and-shoot camera washes out the colors. The dark green/blue shirt is flannel; the knit polo is green and grey.

The colors did not photograph well, but here's a sage green pant set for SIL.

And a three-piece knit casual set. This will match her eyes.

On top of all the garments shown above, there's also another two-piece light-weight pant set (like the sage one, but in a plum color); a two piece skirt/jacket set in dusty pink; AND a plum-and-pinks embroidered knit jacket that will work with either set. They had to go to the cleaners and didn't get photographed.

I also got a brown and burnt orange knit pullover to send to my nephew. It was "his" colors and size and in great condition. I had to give it a little bag room, too! LOL

I think I did pretty good; 27 garments for $12. Even with mailing costs, it was a great deal and they were so happy to get everything.

I'm still "shopping," but they're set for now and since they're living with her daughter, I don't want to send too much until they get a place of their own.

Shop on, thrifting sisters; shop on!

Comments (5)