SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fortisi876

Saving a hand me down fig tree!

FO876
18 years ago

Didnt realize how long this came out but decided to leave it since it shows my eagerness & strong desire to make this last one survive.

My father planted 3 fig saplings approximately 10 yrs ago when I first purchased my home in Northern NJ. The first yr he tried burying it, it rotted/died. Luckily the roots didnt die and they would sprout up again first thing in the spring. For the following 3 yrs he tried wrapping them, each yr they were uncovered dead.

Well, my father passed away unexpectedly in 1998 and Ive been fighting to keep them alive ever since by wrapping them but like every other time they keep dying.

Im down to ONE fig tree (its more like a bush since there

are approximately 5 shoots coming out of the same root

or the base of the old trunk) and I really want this

last one to survive as I consider it one of the last

gifts my father gave me thats keeps coming every year. Its been a frustrating attempt to say the least.

My mother told me to cut them down to one shoot

picking the straightest one but I didnt want to touch

it before getting some advice from any growers here.

This past season was the FIRST time I actually got to

eat a few figs (they ripened for a change) before the

end of the season.

Anyway I was hoping you can give me some insight on how to properly prep & wrap the tree. Its currently 4-5 feet tall, Im unsure if I should cut it down to make it easier to wrap, this might be one reason it never survived before because I have always tried to keep it as tall as possible which made wrapping more difficult.

Some of the contributing factors I THINK why it didnt survive in the yrs past:

1- Not enough insulation and I always kept a vent on top. Ive used various items for insulation stemming from dry leaves to pink insulation.

2- I didnt cut them down to make wrapping easier.

3- The fig is out in the open, no walls or fence protecting it from the chill/wind.

Hers a pic of my tree and the love of my life whom Id love to sit down one day feeding her a fig and tell her how her Nonno (grandpa in italian) planted that for us. :)

http://www.pbase.com/fortisi876/image/52108049/large

Comments (18)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor